How many here own or collect aircraft engines? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PWR4360-59B

Senior Airman
May 27, 2008
It seems many here are into these wonderful works of art. How many own and or operate any of them?

And which one is your all time favorite aircraft engine and why is it special ?

I do. i have a r-985 and r-4360. im in negotiations on a r-1830 and should have it in 3 weeks. Ive always wanted a allison but cost was always the issue. they always seem to be a little out of reach. when they were 5k i was broke . when they were 10k i had spent the money else were. now a used core that may run is about 15k, a lot of coin. i always liked the big 4 row radial. the r-3350 tc is a favorite. i dont have one i like best ,i like them all. now if i could just find a air frame to mount them in....

Hi,
I'm in the process of building up a Merlin, well trying to, I'm the engineer for the Grace Spitfire, therefore when ever I enquire about parts they assume its for the Spitfire and the price shoots out of my reach. I have many parts already, but its the big bits, a crank case, blocks and heads, wheelcase etc that I need now.

I also run one of the Merlins seen on U Tube at Duxford, along side, Mr Bill Richards, Robin Byers and Peter Grieves.

Anyone with info, please drop me a line. oh, enjoy your engines,

steve

robwkamm , what dash number do you have? I have a -59B on the maintenance stand, and its somewhat runnable, in process of adding a prelube system.
My fav is the Wasp Major, then TC-18, and then all the rest. As a youngster I could have got some Packard Merlins dirt cheap, under 1000 bucks.

sorry it took so long for the reply. weve had no power here all week! bad wind/rain storm. i have a -20 wasp major. its still in the shipping can. i think its a zero time or rebuild. not sure. i have to get it out this summer and build a trailer to make a runner out of her. need a bunch o parts. starter,plugs etc. loking foward to it. were did you get the rebuild stand from?

These guys have Dozens of engines:

Fantasy of Flight, World's Greatest Aircraft Collection

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/warbird-displays/fantasy-flight-fl-19146.html

Mostly R-2800 and Alison but i have seen a few Merlins too..

96306.jpg

Last edited:
I guess the proper name is QEC stand. Its not an overhaul stand. Supports the whole QEC assembly.
They were made to hold the whole QEC, as removed from the wing.

The crankcase hasn't arrived from Germany yet. I own a business that manufactures parts and aluminum castings for warbirds. My long term goal is to manufacture parts for the DB605 and eventually (if I can obtain the required financial backing), entire engines.

I've made quite a few parts (and castings) for a P40M restoration at the Tri-State Warbird Museum in Batavia, Ohio. Some of them were castings of which originals are nonexistant. I'm currently working on making casting patterns to cast P40 belly tank/bomb sway braces and pads. Photos will be posted on my site in due course.

Check out my website at Home

Barry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back