How One Decision Ruined British Aircraft Engines.... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As with almost all journalism, the people writing articles or making presentations are not responsible for the headline.

It is beyond me what was the author of the video thinking. I've seen his videos, seemed well-researched and level-headed. His video about Japanese experiences about the Bf 109 was very good IMO. This is again a very good actual video, that needed the clickbait title as much as a MB E-class needs a plastic spoiler on the boot/trunk lid.

It is beyond me what was the author of the video thinking. I've seen his videos, seemed well-researched and level-headed. His video about Japanese experiences about the Bf 109 was very good IMO. This is again a very good actual video, that needed the clickbait title as much as a MB E-class needs a plastic spoiler on the boot/trunk lid.
If it gets people watching it is worthwhile, ive just read the comments, Calum himself gets a lot of positive feedback.

Ruined?? 1st, the title of the video is utter clickbaiting, and second, it is not true.
How does D Deleted member 68059 feels about the title?
I have no input on the title.

However....

Chris, who makes these videos, is doing this as his JOB. These videos are his income, if he does not make money, he cannot pay his bills. He (like we all do) understands certain... "economic realities", regarding "online clicks".

If I released this video (on my channel, which is NOT my income, and is NOT monetised) I would have probably called it... "Why British aero engines were slighly less
effective than they could have been due to a rare research policy mistake"

I think we can all appreciate why the video recieved its final title...

I would also add, that Chris, is considerably more fastidious than most history YouTubers about the quality of his referencing and content. He really does try very hard to
get it right (and to not treat his channel like a personal talking shop, like some do)

Well, I appreciate Snowygrouch finally sitting down and spoon feeding me this stuff. When numbers start popping up I usually stop reading and start watching cartoons.
Great video. I was hoping Today's show would be something good. Did not disappoint.

Well, I appreciate Snowygrouch finally sitting down and spoon feeding me this stuff. When numbers start popping up I usually stop reading and start watching cartoons.
Great video. I was hoping Today's show would be something good. Did not disappoint.
Its not my stuff, I simply read everything available and remove the irrelvant bits. None of this is my creation, its just a "curated archive feed".

But, I am glad it helped. I am often as surprised as anyone about what turns up.

Have not watched it. However, a Flypast article from some years ago pointed out that while the British float type carburetors may have had disadvantages relative to the German direct fuel injection approach, they were easier to manufacture and offered the advantage of charge cooling due to the vaporization of the fuel.

Calum, where did the Bendix-Stromberg injection carburetor inject the fuel? Was it into the eye of the supercharger, or just into the air stream in the throttle bodies?

Calum, where did the Bendix-Stromberg injection carburetor inject the fuel? Was it into the eye of the supercharger, or just into the air stream in the throttle bodies?
AIR-10-2543_005.JPG

Don't know how complicated the fuel injection on the 109 is but I know that I will happily work on any carburettor but the thought of working on fuel injection gives me the shakes

As shown by the illustration kindly provided by Calum there were two widely different fuel injection types.

German system
main-qimg-b991909a3f8c41ee9cc35ce5b2a41bbf-lq.jpg

That is the injection pump, and one injector.

Some authors claim over 500 parts. It also needs a lot of precise machining.

The British looked at a number of weapons/devices and decided that the "improvement" in performance wasn't worth the cost of manufacture.

In some cases they were wrong (variable pitch propellers instead of wooden clubs).
In some cases they may have been right (keeping the Hispano cannon instead of copying the MG 151)

Fuel injection may have fallen into a middle ground.
The British had much less concern about fuel supply in general (local shortages don't count) and the planes were big enough for other reasons to fit enough fuel for range if wanted.
(later marks of Spitfire could accommodate more fuel than a 109 or 190 could, the volume of aircraft was there) so the advantage in fuel economy wasn't as important.
And an engine with carburetor/s could be very close to the fuel injected engine in cruise fuel consumption.

If the British do adopt fuel injection what other weapon/devices don't get built?

Not all carbs are the same.

Stromberg 97
carb3.jpg

Weber carb
44IDF.jpg

Ford autolite 4 barrel inline
inline4a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back