How to repair old Nikon - a record of my attempt

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Shinpachi

Lieutenant Colonel
Feb 17, 2008
Osaka
Nikon F-601 - old model of 19 years ago.
This was a good camera with moderate price.

A few weeks ago, I was going to use this vintage camera again as I was frustrated with the recent digital cameras. The sensitivity for chroma seems absolutely lower than the old color films.

Reason is OK but the back cover lock was broken!

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 226
  • 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 212
Thanks for your advice, evangilder.

In the evening a few weeks ago, I took pictures of a tower with my digital camera as I thought its brilliant green illumination was so beautiful. It was very impressive.

No.1 photo
Brilliant but color tone was different from my impression

No.2
Brilliant and red color was also beautiful but green tone was different

No.3
Dark as I used flash but the green color tone was almost same as my impression.
Regret was it looked dark.

I have ever been engaged in maintenance of the photochromic sensors for the medical equipments before.
They were very sensitive and precise ones for the color frequencies.

General CCDs use the color filter which reduces the light. Reduced signal is increased electronically but makes the image rough...

Yes, I myself am sensitive about that:)
Sorry.

Attachments

• DSCF2949.JPG
    DSCF2949.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCF2950.JPG
    DSCF2950.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 231
  • DSCF2951.JPG
    DSCF2951.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
The last one looks good to me. It may be a little dark, but the highlight to darkness is very high. The problem is balancing the bright white to the darkness without having the white getting overexposed. I would experiment with different ISO ratings and shutter speeds to get the effect you are looking for. Plus photoshop can being out some of the dark areas.

Shinpachi, I have the same problem sometimes. Does your camera display the F-Stop and the Aperture. If so find them on the display. The larger your F- Stop number the smaller the opening in the lens so you get less light. The Aperture dictates the amount of time the shutter will be open 1/2000 is a fast shutter speed 1/20 is slower and so on. I use the aperture to fine tune the shot and the F-stop to get in the ball park. I hope I haven't confused you to much.:lol: I'm with Evan on the last shot. That one's pretty sharp.:thumbright:

You always make me happy, Aaron:) Thanks.

A very Merry Christmas to you all, everyone!

Attachments

• DSCF2879S.JPG
    DSCF2879S.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 200
Yes, I have found out the exposure control function.
It seems that I can manage controlling it somewhat with this.
Attached is a test shot.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• DSCF3039S.JPG
    DSCF3039S.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 206
Looks like you were shooting into the sun. If so that's not a bad shot but normally you want the sun at your back to help light up what you are taking a photo of. I hope you don't mind my critiquing your photo. Knowing what your circumstances were for that shot it came out rather well.:thumbright:

I took the photo facing to the southeast this morning.
Here is another shot facing to the southwest.
I think the chroma depth has been improved a little bit.

With the iso 400 setting, aperture was F8.6 with shutter speed so fast as 1/1448.
This was what I was wanting.

...but this downtown scenery is so messy:)
Sorry but thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF3040RS.JPG
    DSCF3040RS.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 176
From the pictures I have seen of Japanese cities, they are so colorful with all the lights at night...it must be interesting to see.

I have pretty good luck catching colors at night by using different shutter speeds (typically fast) and a lower ISO.

From the pictures I have seen of Japanese cities, they are so colorful with all the lights at night...it must be interesting to see.

I have pretty good luck catching colors at night by using different shutter speeds (typically fast) and a lower ISO.

Yes, they are so colorful in the central part of Osaka. There are no darkness:)
It is modest in my downtown as the attached image shows:rolleyes:

Thanks for your camera advice too, GrauGeist.

Attachments

• DSCF3049S.JPG
    DSCF3049S.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 186
The last shot is not a bad shot depending on what you wanted it to display. When I started learning how to navigate through the menus on my camera and listening to what the guys and gals here on the forum were telling me and figuring out what each setting on my camera was for I really got confused at first and I still am sometimes but I am becoming better at it but I am no professional so if any of you ie. GrauGiest , Evangilder, GeeDee, Gnomey, Trakend, HoHun, and the list goes on, sees that I am not giving the correct advice please, I will not be offended, correct me. I am a little nervous giving advice here, especially in this company.:oops: Oh, and Shinpachi, the last to shots are GREAT!:thumbleft: :)

It is so kind of you, Aaron, to advise me referring to your own precious experience.

I used to be a camera boy when there were no automatic cameras.
I am confident with handling such old tools but there are nothing for the digital cameras today.
I only find many buttons and hidden functions on them.

I will try to be familiar with such 'future' tools.

Osaka evening today.
Walking in the town, I can feel the new year is coming closer.

Attachments

• DSCF3055S.JPG
    DSCF3055S.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 188
  • DSCF3058S.JPG
    DSCF3058S.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCF3061S.JPG
    DSCF3061S.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCF3065S.JPG
    DSCF3065S.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCF3068S.JPG
    DSCF3068S.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 181
The new ones are looking much better, Shinpachi. Graugeist is right about higher ISO and shutter speeds in dark conditions. One thing I have noticed is that when it's dark, lower ISO will give more noise (looks like grain from film) than high ISO with the digital sensor.

Sorry, Colin1. I had disappointed you:(

I have ever lived in Tokyo and loved walking around Akihabara(many electric shops there), Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ikebukuro and others. Tokyo was so large that it was impossible for me to know every street well.

The town scale of Osaka is just half of Tokyo, so people can have more familiar feelings each other.
I love Osaka now as it's comfortable to live.

Attachments

• DSCF3066S.JPG
    DSCF3066S.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 154

Users who are viewing this thread

Back