Hs-129 Hash Marks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Matt308

Glock Perfection
Apr 12, 2005
Washington State
Anyone have an idea what the white hash marks aft of the engines were use for? I've seen them forward of the cockpit for dive bombing, but these are intriuging. And I have seen these same marks on Japanese airplanes too.

Attachments

• Hs-129.jpg
    Hs-129.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 192
Purely a guess, but they could be for a similar reason, to line-up at the correct angle of dive/bank, in order to bring the gun on target. Or, possibly, a 'do not exceed' marking, relative to bank, in case of stalling-out, due to the effects of recoil when the gun is fired?
I hope someone has the answer Matt, as it's intriguing.

I would say - as a pure guess based on where they are located - that they're to gauge the angle of the flaps? Maybe for correct diving position? They seem to indicate the point on the far outer edge of the flap.

Yeah, I got white stripes, yellow stripes, and indicator badge(s).
Looks like flap angle indicators, very possibly to do with gun use as well as normal flap deployment. Can't get the other bit, with the 'legend' for the drawing, as it might confirm it.

Excellent guys. I would have thought that the flaps would be set in the cockpit (e.g., Flaps 15). I didn't think that in WWII they were still working with full range-unregulated flap controls.

Maybe for damage tolerance, perhaps. Good posts. Thanks.

Saw them again just yesterday on an F6F just aft of the cockpit. Two white lines running at different vertical angles on each side of the fuselage.

I've read where the cockpit was so small that even some instruments were placed outside of the cockpit - so perhaps there wasn't enough room for an indicator.

Here's the two pix of the Hs129 cockpit I posted in the "Pilot's View of Things" thread.

It really gives you an idea of how cramped it was.

Also notice the level indicator just ahead of the windsheild. Kind of looks like there were additional instruments on the other side of that, too.

76947.jpg

76948.jpg

Nice shots Dave. The one showing the instrument panel has what I think is the flap control lever, near the bottom left of the main panel, which appears to have the setting numbers on it, as per Bf109 etc. The 'stripes' on the wings, given that they are flap-angle indicators, would be for a quick visual confirmation, especially as it looks like the view of the flap control would be difficult, given the 'tight' cockpit conditions. Similar types of visual-indicator marks, stripes, multiple bands and so on, were used on the Bf109, P51 etc, and on some modern light aircraft. Simple, but effective.

Cramped would be putting it mildly, and I kind of tossed this into the "Pilot's View of Things" because we had been discussing the tight confines of the Bf109 :lol:

Terry, one of the things I haven't seen on any of the Hs129 model kits, is the angle (inclinometer?) indicator assembly just ahead of the windsheild. Not sure if I've just been looking at "budget" kits, or perhaps I just wasn't paying attention.

And speaking of indicator marks, don't forget the dive angle indicator that the Ju87 had on the canopy! :)

Dave, the old Esci 1/48th scale Hs129 kit had the inclinometer, and I think the (very) old Airfix 1/72nd kit had a crude representation.
Yep, the JU87 had the marks on the canopy, and the JU88 also had them, plus different colours for different angles. These are also visible on some Bf109's, used in the 'Jabo' role, being more noticeable on those fitted with the Erla canopy.

And speaking of indicator marks, don't forget the dive angle indicator that the Ju87 had on the canopy! :)

Hum!!! I will have to do some looking. I use to have a good line drawing of these some where around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back