Hurricane Gustav Pics and Vids...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As most of u know, I live on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi, just East of Biloxi... Hurricane Gustav decided, thanks to the prayers of the most excellent board members' around, to veer to the West and slam into Louisiana instead of us...

We had a 6' storm surge on the beach, about 4" of rain, and sustained winds of 40mph with gusts up to 60mph... We are about 1/2 a mile from the beach, and about 1/8th of a mile from the marshlands.... There is one way into our developement here in St. Andrews, and its over a causeway on the marsh...

It was no big deal really, the kids were even playing outside in the rain and wind... We were prepared, as any good Boy Scout is, for much worse than we got... The power didnt even go off....

Anyways, enough talkin, heres some pics... Vids to follow...

Pics below are from Sunday evening, before the storm....

Attachments

• ~before01b.jpg
    ~before01b.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 222
  • ~before01.jpg
    ~before01.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 229
  • ~before02.jpg
    ~before02.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 239
So I wake up around 5:30 am, get coffee goin, check the news and jump into the van for a ride to the beach to see what the surge is doing.... To my surprise, the road is being washed away... Check the vid clip at the bottom of the pics...

Attachments

• ~beach00morning.AVI
    2.4 MB · Views: 111
  • ~thebeachmorn01.jpg
    ~thebeachmorn01.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 238
  • ~thebeachmorn02.jpg
    ~thebeachmorn02.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 232
  • ~thebeachmorn03.jpg
    ~thebeachmorn03.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 234
Then I drive over to the Causeway to make sure my escape route is still intact... Im putting up the morning and then afternoon pics to compare the surge heights... Normally, the first pic is nothing but reeds and sawgrass that any normal Mississippi Marsh has.... THERE IS NEVER ANY VISIBLE WATER.....

Attachments

• ~~bridgenoon05.jpg
    ~~bridgenoon05.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 232
  • ~~bridgemorn02.jpg
    ~~bridgemorn02.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 224
Heres 2 shots from the Weather Channel News Team... The weatherman almost gets knocked over on his ass.... For an insight, on the radar clip, I live right where the F in Gulfport is...

Attachments

• Radar.wmv
    1.5 MB · Views: 131
  • Weatherman Dance.wmv
    1.6 MB · Views: 152
Around 12:30, I again head out to check whats goin on down at the beach, and Jesus Aged Christ, where did all the water come from??? It went all the way over the road and flooded out the 12th hole at St. Andrews Golf Course..

Attachments

• ~beachnoon02.AVI
    3.5 MB · Views: 120
  • ~beachMUG ME.wmv
    1.3 MB · Views: 128
  • ~thebeachnoon03.jpg
    ~thebeachnoon03.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 227
  • ~thebeachnoon02.jpg
    ~thebeachnoon02.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 238
  • ~thebeachnoon01.jpg
    ~thebeachnoon01.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 232
I then headed back to the Causeway, to once again make sure the evacuation route is still intact... I was shocked at how much water had come in... As u can see from the pics, where did the marsh go???

Attachments

• ~bridgenoon07.jpg
    ~bridgenoon07.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 235
  • ~bridgenoon12.jpg
    ~bridgenoon12.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 217
  • ~bridgenoon06.jpg
    ~bridgenoon06.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 208
After a few hours and many many beers, the rain lets up and we decide to head to the beach and see the damage and possibly get some cool driftwood... The wind was still blowin pretty good...

Attachments

• ~Last 014a.jpg
    ~Last 014a.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 212
  • ~Last 14b.jpg
    ~Last 14b.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 209
  • ~Last 0123.jpg
    ~Last 0123.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 209
  • ~Last 004.jpg
    ~Last 004.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 204
  • ~Last 001.jpg
    ~Last 001.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 209
  • ~Last 16b.jpg
    ~Last 16b.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 195
  • ~Last 016a.jpg
    ~Last 016a.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 215
  • ~beachover.AVI
    6.1 MB · Views: 114
All in all, we had a good time, except for fillin the sandbags... God that sucked....

I would like to extend my most sincere, heartfelt gratitude to all u guys that cared enough to include us in ur prayers, as well as all ur well wishes and support....

Thanks once again u bastardos......

unfortunelly acording with g1.globo.com, 81 people in caribean island died. but the positive side is that it was less devastator than katrina.

another positive thing for americans i gess, was check the security improvements and testing the rebuilded dykes in n. orleans.

i hope everything should be fine with les and his family, with united states, cuba and haiti. life continues and better !

:lol:

Incredible photos! Hard to comprehend, living in a country experiencing its worst drought. There was a news item tonight interviewing residents of New Orleans complaining that officials had "over reacted" regards the storms intensity and they "would not trust them in the future".

Poor officials! Damned if they do, and damned if they don't. I'd be out of there in a hurry.

Congrats on getting through with nothing more than pictures. Good for you. Been through two of them. But both were Northern Cat 1 storms and we didn't take a direct hit. Not much to talk about.

Although there is a storm coming out of the Carribean (Hanna) and heading our way. We are down in terms of rainfall around here and could use a good foot of rain. Probably have people out doing rain dances on the Pa/MD border trying to get it to come this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back