Hurricane II timeline

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vincenzo

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 24, 2007
Ciociaria
I read on the web (in more that one page) that first Hurricane II were delivered in september 1940 and were used in late BoB.
The first production block in Hawker that built Hurri II start to delivery the 14th january 1941 so what Hurri II were delivered in september or that news is false? maybe a few trials serie?

p.s. i know also Gloster built Hurricane II but imho this start production later in '41

Last edited:
The first of what would become the Hurricane Mk II Series 1,or Mk IIA, flew on 11th June 1940. This was the first aircraft to have the Merlin XX bolted on the front and was used for testing. I think you are right that the first production of these was in Gloster's 3rd block which started in July 1940. I don't have,or rather haven't found,a date for the first delivery to squadrons but September seems possible.
Cheers
Steve.

Hello!

The first Mk IIA's were delivered starting 4 Sept 1940. A total of 32 were delivered to the squadrons by the end of Sept 1940. Unfortunately, my source does not mention which squadrons received the IIA's.

Eagledad

the Gloster 3rd block, started in july 1940 and ended in august 1941, was of 1700 Hurricane of that 1250 were Hurri I and 450 Hurri II. for me it's strange that they started to built Hurri II and after back to Hurri I...
i just checked from the other side, the squadrons, the first squadron that get Hurri II was the 605th in november 1940 (they used also I until december), was followed from others 5 squadron in february '41.
Back in the production side probably we have a limited mixed (hurri I&II) production (maybe conversion) in the gloster from the fall 1940 but not true mass production until '41

for me it's strange that they started to built Hurri II and after back to Hurri I...

I don't think that is strange at all. The airframe could very easily be adapted to either engine depending on availability. Many of the September'40 onwards Hawker production appears to have been converted to Mk IIA standard.

Maybe it would be worth looking at Rolls Royce engine production. Did they stop building the Merlin III when the Merlin XX came on line?

Steve

atm i've not data on Merlin production but i'm looking.
In all the conversion were a bit more 1 hundred planes so much hurricane I remain hurricane I

Mason states that 32 new built IIAs were delivered from Sept 04 to 30. He also states that 60 Hurricane Is that were being refitted with metal wings and others being repaired for engine/nose damage were converted to IIA standards, before Jan 1941.

Mason is a very reliable source so gloster after produced this 32 Hurri II probably stopped for some time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back