HVAR rockets aiming system

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I believe a popular method of delivery employed by Typhoon pilots was to use the 20mm cannons as a coaxial sighting device for the rockets. When cannon splashes were observed on the target, this was the cue to let the rockets go.

Colin's right on that one Roman. Also, quite a few years ago, I was friendly with 'Blaster Bates', better known as an afterdinner speaker/comedian, who flew Typhoons during WW2. I seem to remember him telling me that often, they would dive in at an angle of 40 to 45 degrees , with the target on the nose, and let rip, either in pairs, multiple pairs, or the full salvo. As Colin mentioned, the HVAR wasn't that accurate, although perhaps marginally more so than the British RP's, and accurate hits on individual targets were not as common as is thought. In the Falaise pocket, for example, where it is generally thought Typhoons wreaked havoc, the greater percentage of British RP's actually missed a specific target, such as a tank. Although there is no doubt that the 'Tiffies' did tremendous damage, and had a huge impact on German moral, the percentage of actual hits per RP fired was very low; I forget the percentage figures I saw once, but it was somewhere in the region of 20%, or less. The main effect, in this area, was the blocking of the already congested, narrow roads, leaving convoys, and anything which attempted to move in daylight, wide open to further attack by RP's, bombs and cannon fire.
On larger targets, such as ships and buildings, British RP's (and therefore HVAR's also) were, due to the very nature of the target, more accurate per round fired. Attacks of this nature tended to be, but not always, at a slightly shallower angle, and again, the gunsight was used, often with cannon tracer as 'spotter' rounds. This type of attack by Typhoons using HE and SAP RP's, was instrumental in the sinking of the Cap Ancona for instance. I think I have the figures of recorded cannon round and RP hits on this ship somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back