I have solar power. Do you? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
I went for a 19 panel system with battery. What about you? So far I have my city buy off for the system. And fire dept. for the battery. Just waiting for my utility sign off to provide power for the grid.

Here are some stats that my system is making/providing. This was from around noon time.

Any questions, let me know. By the way, my panels are made in the USA. No Chinese crap on my roof!

1.jpg

2.jpg

Did they manage to kill off the changes to the net metering prices there in Ca? They were trying to ram thru a reduction to 6 cents a kWh on what home owners and small commercial businesses got for their excess production.

Greg: It isn't. Ca. pushed all this solar stuff to people on 20 year or less break even points, with the buyback price of 25 cents a kWh. Now they want to drop that to 6 cents a kWh, over a one or two year period, and it then be the permanent price. Those that have systems that were bought less than about 10 years ago would be the ones hurt the worst, as it pushes the break even point to around 35 years.

Lot of Ca has prices exceeding 40 cents a kWh.

Thanks for the info. I'll observe my neighbor for a bit and see how he is making out. I'm considering panels after the new roof goes on.

We just got solar panels and a battery installed in our house. It's not live yet as we're waiting for the local power company to install a new meter before our system can go live. Basic approach is to have solar power the house during daytime and top up the battery, and then any excess gets sold back to the power company. Key benefit for me is that we have a built-in back-up (the battery) in case the power goes out. Also, since my wife and I both primarily work from home, getting that free power during the daytime is good for us.

Will report back once our system goes live.

We just got solar panels and a battery installed in our house. It's not live yet as we're waiting for the local power company to install a new meter before our system can go live. Basic approach is to have solar power the house during daytime and top up the battery, and then any excess gets sold back to the power company. Key benefit for me is that we have a built-in back-up (the battery) in case the power goes out. Also, since my wife and I both primarily work from home, getting that free power during the daytime is good for us.

Will report back once our system goes live.
Excellent!

I've been considering it. Whereas Calgary is one of the sunniest cities on Canada, it is also the most prone to damaging hail. I've never received a straight answer on how well an expensive solar system would survive a hail storm.

View attachment 670483

That is my biggest concern. We get really huge wind/hail storms here in the Midwest. Some of soon to be new neighbors have solar panels on their roofs though.

Several factors are keeping me out of the solar panel game.
First of which, the house and the shop both are oriented north/south, so unless both sides of the roof (of either building) had substantial coverage, I wouldn't be able to get the full amount of exposure between sun up and sun down.

Another issue, is the house is a "manufactured" home and the roof is sketchy as hell. I cringe every time I have to get on there for whatever reason. The shop, on the otherhand, is a beast. I could probably but a school bus on the roof, it's that well built.

Another factor, are the trees. This property is covered with mature gray pines and oaks and both roofs are shaded at any given point during the day. I've seen where folks have installed panels in open spaces near their house, but in my case: trees.

Finally, the state and their goofy idea that they want to charge panel owners about 8 dollars per Kw generated, per month (referred tonas "grid participation") as well as the reduction of panel incentives (mentioned upthread). One of the excuses for the fee is to "assist lower income users", etc. While the fee proposal has been shelved for the moment, it is not off the table and it's only a matter of time before it rears it's head again. Nevada did pass something similar a few years back and made a mess of things.

So for me, I'll just stay hooked up the old fashioned way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back