I need info about A-1 Skyraider flaps

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

KozheMkII

Recruit
Jul 22, 2007
Hi guys,

this is my fist post here! :)

I'm working on a project about the Skyraider and I'm going crazy about its slat flap system.

These are moving on two "triangular" struts under each wing which are easily spotted on any photo, but what I really need to know (or see) is how are the mechanical or hydraulic actuators that are actually moving the flaps. These are supposed to be almost hidden by the wing and flaps, and that's why I can't see them in any photo. And so far, I haven't found any kind of diagram, drawing, photo or even a description about them.

Does any of you have any kind of information about this? Or at least any guess about how should they look or how they are in other aircraft designs?

Thanks!

The problem of course is that nobody ever writes about familiar things! However, there are ten pages of emails from on the Spadguys speak, dating from an article I wrote about tossing nukes from a Spad. Maybe you could Google some of these guys. (I didn't put the emails in the messages as quoted, for obvious reasons, and I no longer have the originals.)

If you can get down to Pensacola, there is a beautiful Spad there. I was privileged to enter the museum an hour before it opened, and to sit in the cockpit, an experience not to be missed if you can possibly arrange it. (Oh, sorry! I see that you are in Spain, not an easy jump to Pensacola. Still ...)

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Coming in September: Flying Tigers: Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942

I do believe we have a resident authority on the skyraider..'SPADGUY'. He should appear shortly (and please don't mention 'dive brakes').

And welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the link! Lot of interesting stuff there about flying the Spad. Sadly I'm not so close to Pensacola. And sadly I never had the chance (yet!) to work on any plane which I can actually visit and touch a little bit.

Graeme, I tried to send you an email trough this site, but I got no confirmation at all, so I'm not quite sure I actually sent it. did you get it?

I was asking you there about a cutaway drawing you posted some months ago, could you please post the complete cutaway again? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back