i need paint for my diorama (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nmodels

Airman
Jan 23, 2019
i am making a diorama but i dont know what kind of paint i need. can Some one help me out?
im building a diorama of the battle of the Bulge, my material is foam.

Last edited:
I agree. More info is really needed.
im building a diorama of the battle of the Bulge, my material is foam.
and i am also painting soldiers 1:72 do you know what paint i should use?

Guys, Nmodel is Nick. Nick is the son of friend of ours. He has no experience on forum, so I'll help him a bit.

Nick is into modelling and is now trying to build a diorama for the first time. I told him you guys have a wealth of knowledge. So he needs help with painting. He builds his diorama with foam rubber. Maybe post a picture Nick?

He would like to know what type of paint works best on foam rubber. I think he also has little plastic soldiers and would like to know what type of paint sticks best on those.

Tell me if I'm wrong, Nick.

Last edited:
here iT is

Attachments

• D03A15FB-D336-4E4D-90B4-B3534FFCDF65.jpeg
    D03A15FB-D336-4E4D-90B4-B3534FFCDF65.jpeg
    592.5 KB · Views: 157
Ok Marcel. THX for the info.

I may suggest using of the acrylic paints. Of course what brand of them Nick can use depends on the nearest local hobby shop at his area and its offer. ALso it depends on the weay Nick is going to apply them. An airbrush or a brush... If the airbrush is going to be the base tool you Nick may use the Vallejo air or colour series. Most of these acrylic colours can be applied with a brush as well. But the effct can be not you expect. So the oil enamels can be taken into consideration too. Model Master or Humbrol enamels are good for the purpose as well.

i am using a normal Brush

Yes I would. However the entire base should be coated with a primer firstly. Then the acrylic paints can be applied. As a primer I would suggest using the PVA glue thinned with water. It will stick to the foam rubber enough strong and will make the surface more smooth additionally. Of course the primer can be really of different brand eg. Tamiya primer in a spray cans. However the PVA background can be painted with the white oil enamel (eg. Humbrol) can be used too. Because Nick is going to make the diorama of the battle of the Bulge the white paint will be needed and some of snow for dioramas..

Just Nick has to remeber that the acrylic paints can be applied over the PVA glue and oil enamels but never vice versa.

And what should I use for the soldiers?

And what should I use for the soldiers?

Yes the Humbrol enamels are good for colouring of the figures ( soldiers ). These stick quite good to the plastic. Also there are paints offered by firm Citadel. These are dedicated for figures and can be used too. But the Humbrol enamels should be enough. What is more the enamles are offred with the military tones and there is no problem with fitting colours of uniforms etc.... If the smell of Humbrol enamles is odious you may use the Vallejo acrylic range for figures too.

Back to the diorama base... the applying of the PVA glue has additional advantage.. you may bepowder it with the modelling sprinkles while it is not cured yet and it works like a nice adhesive for the sprinkles.

Oh.. the modelling sprinkles are offered in many colours that can be easy fitted to ground colour. Also the snow is available.

1.jpg
1a.jpg
2.jpg
2a.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg

Personally I like the acrylic paints by LIFE COLOR the come in a very large number of sets which contain all the colors needed for German and American uniforms:

7423652-origpic-adff21.jpg
lccs05_m.jpg

toy-soldiers-camouflage-us-army-wwii-combat-fatigue-class-a-uniforms-acrylic-model-figure-pain...jpg

There are also a number of sets to paint various scenery features and various surface details like RUST, DUST, GRIME, OIL STAINS, MUD, etc

Personally I like the acrylic paints by LIFE COLOR the come in a very large number of sets which contain all the colors needed for German and American uniforms:

View attachment 526695View attachment 526696
View attachment 526697

There are also a number of sets to paint various scenery features and various surface details like RUST, DUST, GRIME, OIL STAINS, MUD, etc

And wat should i use for my German paratroopers?

Edit:
O just saw that the top 1 was the para
Thx you guys you guys have been of great help to me!! When it's done I will upload pictures!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back