I need some help on Tamiya Spitfire

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

al49

Tech Sergeant
Dec 16, 2009
Milan, Italy
Hi,
as you may have seen on the relevant thread, I'm building the 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire.
Unfortunately I lost two parts, already painted and ready to assembly.
I don't know how it happened, but they disappeared.
If you are building or just built the same kit, could you please take a few shots of them end post here, so I can try to scratch-build them?
Items I'm talking about are the two little part of flaps marked in red here
missingparts-vi.jpg

If, even better, someone will be able to make resin copies, we could find a way to cover the shipping cost to Italy.
Many thanks in advance
Alberto

Sorry to hear you've lost the parts Alberto, what a darn shame! I can't help you directly, and can only suggest scratch-building them, using the underside of the wing, and the outboard, main flap as patterns. It sounds like you intend to display the model with flaps lowered, but you could always have them raised, and use plastic card, cut to the pattern of the flap aperture under the wing and fuselage centre section. Spitfires were rarely parked with their flaps lowered, although there were exceptions of course. (NOTE: if the flaps are lowered, the actuator cover should be open, on top of each wing, with the actuator protruding, although I guess this is included in the kit.)

How annoying is that

They didn't get stuck to something and chucked in the bin, did they?
Stuck to your elbow then deposited halfway down the stairs?

You might chuckle...

... (NOTE: if the flaps are lowered, the actuator cover should be open, on top of each wing, with the actuator protruding, although I guess this is included in the kit.)

Thanks Terry for your answer.
I someone will provide me a few close-up photos it will be better, otherwise I will do my best, probably using tiny aluminium sheet that will better follow the curved shape.
About flaps, Tamiya provided covers that can be installed in open position and the actuators.
At this stage the covers are hold in close position with a very small blob of blue-tac: at the last minute I will open them and fit the actuators.
Alberto

Two things you could do.
One is to see if there are aftermarket details available. Eduard 32173 is for MK.Vb.
Second is send off an email to Tamiya and see if they will replace them.
I broke a couple of gear door pieces on my Eduard Spit and sent them off an email listing the part number from the sprue. No answer to my email, but the other day I got them in the mail!

These may be of interest.

PV270 Previous Restoration History

Google Image Result for http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b304/vultee35/models/spitfire/flap.jpg

Two things you could do.
One is to see if there are aftermarket details available. Eduard 32173 is for MK.Vb.
Second is send off an email to Tamiya and see if they will replace them.
I broke a couple of gear door pieces on my Eduard Spit and sent them off an email listing the part number from the sprue. No answer to my email, but the other day I got them in the mail!

Many thanks for your suggestion.
In fact I wrote to the shop (Model Hobbies in UK) who supplied the kit to me; they answered saying that they sent the enquiry to Tamiya and will let me know.
Good point to consider Eduard kit, I will check but it should work because, if I remember well, the main difference between Mk V and Mk IX concerned the engine.
Alberto

Again thanks to all.
If you felt sorry for me, you should be now glad to hear that I finally found the two missing parts! They were exactly where they were supposed to be but yesterday I was unable to see them!

So there are two possibilities: either there are spirits in my house, but I live in Italy, not in Scotland or, more likely: I'm getting old!

Cheers
Alberto

...I finally found the two missing parts! They were exactly where they were supposed to be but yesterday I was unable to see them!

So there are two possibilities: either there are spirits in my house, but I live in Italy, not in Scotland or, more likely: I'm getting old!
Neither
it'll be that damned volcanic ash cloud...

Glad you found them Alberto, it really is annoying when things like that happen. For future reference, yes, the flaps on the MkV and MkIX were the same, and were so on the range from the later Mk1 and MkII to the Mk XIV, the latter having a slight change due to larger radiators.
Colin might be right about that volcanic ash cloud, it seems to be getting blamed for a lot of things. But, you could be right, as I think I have a Poltergeist in my house, as quite a few things have gone 'missing', then turned up a few days later, in entirely different places. Of course, I could be getting old also.......! (and no comments from Colin, Jan et al!!!)

Glad you found them Alberto, it really is annoying when things like that happen. For future reference, yes, the flaps on the MkV and MkIX were the same, and were so on the range from the later Mk1 and MkII to the Mk XIV, the latter having a slight change due to larger radiators.
Colin might be right about that volcanic ash cloud, it seems to be getting blamed for a lot of things. But, you could be right, as I think I have a Poltergeist in my house, as quite a few things have gone 'missing', then turned up a few days later, in entirely different places. Of course, I could be getting old also.......! (and no comments from Colin, Jan et al!!!)

Anyway it has been the right opportunity search the web and find out that Eduard recently introduced a very nice photo etch landing flap for the MkIX Tamiya kit as well.
p32246_00b-vi.jpg

The part number is 32246 and cost 24.95 USD
Not my case any more but ...
It will be also quite interesting to see if I get any feedback from Tamiya and see how much they ask for the replacement part. I will let you all to know.
Alberto

i am convinced inanimate objects are smart and devious. they hide on purpose to make you look silly or change to keep from having to do work. example....everytime i go to my toolbox for a philips head screwdriver...i find only flat head. the next day i need a flat head...find nothing but philips heads...hmmm they have esp too!

Thought about scratch building the missing piece Alberto? Shouldn't be too hard.
Hi,
scratch-building was an option, of course, and this is why I was looking for pictures of the item but, as I mentioned above, I fortunately found again the missing parts, so I'm happy now.
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back