ICM 1/48th scale Dornier Do-17Z review. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Here's a quick, 'in box' review of the new ICM Do-17Z kit.

Part 1.

The first set of pics show the box art, side-hinged 'pizza' box, packaging (clear parts in separate re-sealable bag), main sprues (2 of these for the engine parts etc), the 20 page instruction book including the colour scheme options, and the decals.
Next post will show some detail shots.
Apologies for the brief descriptions - hands too painful to type for more than a few seconds.

Attachments

• DSC_0001 (5).JPG
    DSC_0001 (5).JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 406
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 275
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 293
  • DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC_0024.JPG
    DSC_0024.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC_0029.JPG
    DSC_0029.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 275
  • DSC_0031.JPG
    DSC_0031.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 258
  • DSC_0013.JPG
    DSC_0013.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 285
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 309
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 328
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 533
  • DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 289
  • DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 323
  • DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 323
ICM Dornier Do-17Z Review

Part 2.

Some detail shots of the sprues, including the radios, pilot's seat, MG 15s and their 'saddle' magazines, and the engines.
Surface detail as seen on the upper wing, and the instrument panels, decals also being provided for the latter.
Close-up shots of the transparent parts show nice clear canopies and other glazing, with the 'parts not for use' being from previous issues of the Do-215 and the Do-17 night fighter versions.
Overall, this appears to be a very nicely moulded and detailed kit and, compared to the rare, and expensive, 'Classic Airframes' example, is way ahead, and in the case of the Hobbycraft kit, this new offering from ICM is like comparing a Trabant against a Mercedes SLK, although to be fair, there is 25+ years difference in design and moulding technology between the latter.
Details include what appears to be a fully-equipped cockpit with some finely-moulded individual parts, including the Lofte bomb sight, radios and engine controls, full bomb bays with racks, bombs and fuel tank, nicely detailed landing gear, and detailed engines, exhausts and mounts, with separate cowling panels.
The decal sheet appears to be well printed and in register, and of better quality than previous ICM decals, although the proof will be when used.
However, there a a couple of minor 'niggles' which I've spotted so far, which don't detract much from the overall impression of this being a very nice kit, and one I've waited for for many years.
The pilot's seat appears to be somewhat under-scale.
The interior parts for the main entrance hatch have what appears to be the camera packs of the photo-recce version, rather than the 'hollow' hatch cover, with integral steps, of the 'Z' bomber version, easily corrected with some simple scratch building, and essential if the hatch is to be fitted in the open position - something not shown in the instructions.
The colour profiles are rather dark, and it's virtually impossible to see the black code letters - a very minor point.
The markings for the aircraft from '7/KG3' are rather dubious - it's my understanding that only aircraft of the Geschwader Stab carried the red and white shield of the city of Elbing, with the individual aircraft letter in the KG Stab colour of Medium Blue, in this case outlined in white. Aircraft from the 3 Gruppen may have carried the Gruppe badge, although many photos show aircraft devoid of badges, and the 'White H' decal provided in the kit would indicate 1 Staffel (I/KG3), not the Geschwader Stab.
All niggles aside, and given that the fit of parts matches the quality of the mouldings, then this is indeed a superb kit, which seems to capture the shape of the (by then) less than 'flying pencil' form of the Do-17 very well and, as mentioned, a vast improvement on those kits available to date (when they can be found at realistic prices), and a very welcome addition to early war Luftwaffe types, especially the BoB period, in 1/48th scale.
I'm really looking forward to building this kit, and, once my hands are working, and current projects are cleared up, I'll be starting work on it, as the first in my 'BoB - The Hardest Days' collection.

Attachments

• DSC_0021.JPG
    DSC_0021.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC_0022.JPG
    DSC_0022.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC_0023.JPG
    DSC_0023.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC_0025.JPG
    DSC_0025.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC_0030.JPG
    DSC_0030.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC_0016.JPG
    DSC_0016.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC_0017.JPG
    DSC_0017.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC_0034.JPG
    DSC_0034.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC_0036.JPG
    DSC_0036.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC_0026.JPG
    DSC_0026.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Nope - still pretty common in kits exported to some countries where the swastika is banned. Shame they couldn't do what some manufacturers do, and 'split' the swastika into two halves. Good job I've still got a sheet of them - although I'm blowed if I can find my Luftwaffe code letter decals !

I have been extremely impressed with ICM's 1/48th releases the past year and a half or so. I can't wait to get my hands on a couple of the newly released I-153s, just in time for the 75th anniversary of Barbarossa too.

Nice Terry. I guess the fuel tanks would be used for the recon version? It even looks like they will make one for the "Kraus?" IR night fighter. I have the 1/72 version. It would be nice to see how it stacks up.

Thanks Jim.
I'm not sure, but I think the fuel tank was also carried in the forward bomb bay by bomber versions. A couple olf BoB period photos show bombs exiting the rear bay only, with the front bay doors closed. It's something I need to investigate further before the build.
The night-fighter will probably follow, and Revell have a new kit already released (maybe a 215 night fighter) which I suspect is the ICM kit re-boxed.

Looks impressive. Better have a sharp blade to cut away some of those more delicate looking pieces and perhaps take a moment to pray to the carpet god that he/she may be pleased and not devour anything that springs off the workbench.

Cheers,

jeff

Thanks Jim.
I'm not sure, but I think the fuel tank was also carried in the forward bomb bay by bomber versions. A couple olf BoB period photos show bombs exiting the rear bay only, with the front bay doors closed. It's something I need to investigate further before the build.
The night-fighter will probably follow, and Revell have a new kit already released (maybe a 215 night fighter) which I suspect is the ICM kit re-boxed.

To my understanding, the new Revell kit is the ICM 215B-5 reboxed with an a new infrared sight, exhaust shrouds, and a ventral gun pack added.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back