Identification WWII aircraft - can someone please identify the aircraft in these circa 1944-5 photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jaydeeem

Recruit
2
1
Joined
Aug 2, 2026
thumbnail_IMG_5498.jpg
 
All seem to of RAAF aircraft. First & fourth are Douglas DB-7B Boston III (22 in RAAF service) or A-20C Havoc (9 in RAAF service). These would be from 22 squadron RAAF. The third is a Beaufort and the fifth is a Hudson.
 
All seem to of RAAF aircraft. First & fourth are Douglas DB-7B Boston III (22 in RAAF service) or A-20C Havoc (9 in RAAF service). These would be from 22 squadron RAAF. The third is a Beaufort and the fifth is a Hudson.

Hi Ewan, I think the fifth is a Ventura not a Hudson. The door is adjacent to the wing trailing edge; on a Hudson, it's further aft

Here's a Hudson door for comparison:

1785750508772.jpeg
 
Hi Ewan, I think the fifth is a Ventura not a Hudson. The door is adjacent to the wing trailing edge; on a Hudson, it's further aft

Here's a Hudson door for comparison:

View attachment 889531
On reflection, I agree it's a Ventura.

Note the radar aerial for ASV.II just aft of the door in photo five. It makes it one of the ex RAF Lend Lease order Ventura IIA (USAAF RB-34A-VE). 20 delivered to RAAF May-Aug 1943 rather than the ex-USN PV-1 Ventura V. Only operational RAAF user of both versions was 13 squadron.
 
If I may .. the first pic is not the Boston or Havoc but the Bristol Beaufort. I guess it is the same kite in the third shot. The front windshield of the cockpit canopy has the characteristic in shape, small opening window ...

beaufort.jpg
 
If I may .. the first pic is not the Boston or Havoc but the Bristol Beaufort. I guess it is the same kite in the third shot. The front windshield of the cockpit canopy has the characteristic in shape, small opening window ...

View attachment 889539
I agree, didn't notice the slope of the fuselage first time, obviously a tail dragger :thumbright:
 
I agree, didn't notice the slope of the fuselage first time, obviously a tail dragger :thumbright:

True. Also the short carburetor air intake only. In the fourth pic it can be noticed that the Boston/Havoc has the one but with the tropical air filter housing making it looking very long. Additionally the wing leading edge at the wing root for the A-20 started a way farther behind the rear edge or the cockpit hood while the Beaufort has it just started there.
 
To add some extra details to these fantastic photos, I would guess we are looking at the post-war aircraft disposal in Australia, most likely at a site like Oakey Airfield in Queensland around 1946–1949.
The RAAF aircraft types can be identified as a DAP/Bristol Beaufort, a Douglas A-20 Boston, and a Lockheed Ventura. The photos perfectly capture the Commonwealth Disposals Commission era, where private buyers or farmers used tractors to clear these proud twin-engine veterans from temporary strips and melt them down for post-war aluminum.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back