Identify a piece

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rapzor

Recruit
Jan 8, 2008
got this piece from an old man who lives around here, said it was from ww2 and i think he said it was from an english aircraft that crashed here in northern denmark

well, my guess is some fuel thing...but i have no knowlegde about aircrafts :)

any idea what aircraft its from (almost impossiple i know) ?

P1080010.jpg

the writing on it says "3A / SS 3554" and signs of black paint on the other side

if you mean the end to the right, it is threaded but the "nut" is stuck

and the hole in that end is about double size or more

What I am thinking it is a slightly modified standard fitting used against a firewall or bulkhead. The flats on two of the fittings are usually installed against structure and then a fitting connected on the opposite side.

One thing that caught my attention is the sharpness of the nipple cones. AN fittings had a 45 degree cone, these are a lot steeper and even seem to have a shoulder. I believe British WW2 aircraft used AN fittings or something pretty close to it so I'm wondering if this is from a British aircraft or is it an aircraft fitting?

I have your photo attached marked up and also have a photo of an AN aircraft fitting. You could see the difference.

Attachments

• P1080010.jpg
    P1080010.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 127
  • AN827C_1.jpg
    AN827C_1.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 127
the hole with the nut on isnt a cone.
any technical reason why its a cone on the 3 of them ? thicker hose or something ?

should be brittish, or at least thats what the old man said

dont know what you mean by having a "shoulder", but yea, its dont seem like a 45 degree angle, more like 25 or 30

the hole with the nut on isnt a cone.

Then that must be a pipe thread

any technical reason why its a cone on the 3 of them ? thicker hose or something ?
It seems it was connected to something that required a pipe thread. As far as the cones, those had a B nut attached to them, then tubing, not hose - something like this..

figure32.gif

should be brittish, or at least thats what the old man said

If it was off a British aircraft it might of been a custom made fitting which is somewhat uncommon. Here is an example of fittings used by US and most British aircraft.

14018_234_1.jpg

dont know what you mean by having a "shoulder", but yea, its dont seem like a 45 degree angle, more like 25 or 30
The sholder is the step at the cone - I marked up your photo. Notice the AN fitting doesn't have one.

Attachments

• P1080010.JPG
    P1080010.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 118
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 131
aah, theres a shoulder then
and the number doesnt really match with the example on your picture

maybe its bs

aah, theres a shoulder then
and the number doesnt really match with the example on your picture

maybe its bs

It's hard to say...

Once in a while an aircraft may carry a certian item that might have a commercial application and the fittings on the items won't match standard AN fittings. Those situations are uncommon but they do happen. The threads seem to be close to an AN fitting.

I know the item is old but does it have any kind of gasoline smell to it?

no smell, would also be weird if it had hehe

guess there aint records about where ww2 crashes

will consider it abit of a mystery then

no smell, would also be weird if it had hehe
I found pieces of an F-86 in the mountains south of Edwards AFB - the aluminum still carried a "smoky" smell almost 40 years later!
guess there aint records about where ww2 crashes

will consider it abit of a mystery then

If we had more info it might help but it seems there isn't much more unless one of our British friends recognize the part.

Holy cow what if its one of the fittings the germans were using to run nitrous! the flare matches most natural gas lines for waterheaters and the like. back then they wanted the tightest sealing edge. what do you think flyboy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back