Identify WW2 Flag

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ScottS

Recruit
Apr 15, 2013
Can anyone tell me what this flag says?

Thanks!

Attachments

• WW2 Flag.jpg
    WW2 Flag.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 126
Certainly the central disk design is 'Mon' like, possibly in an agricultural business/group/commitee context (guessing), as to the stripes on the field and the pictoghraphs, Shinpachi-san and other oriental members could assist.

The photo was reversed.
I think the Tsurugaoka is a town name of Kamakura City.

Tsurugaoka Fire Company.jpg

Modern flags and old style.
Fire fighting was volunteer by the civilians in the medieval era.
So, the flag design adopts a symbolized mascot tool as you see its original in the last photo. They are demonstrating the fire fighters parade of old style.

Nice find!

E4BFAEE79086E4BD9CE6A5AD5s.jpg

0226_021_danki.jpg

matoi_kousin.jpg

Thank you everyone for your responses. The flag was given to my father by an uncle or older cousin who had served in WW2. As I was going through his belongings, I just wanted to get an idea of what it represented. There is also 3 or 4 propaganda leaflets that are in really good shape.

Thanks, ScottS, for introducing your collection.
As far as I have researched in the local web sites, few introduce such a pre-war fire company flag as yours.
It is a rare one.

I am curious about the propaganda leaflets too.
Please introduce them if you are OK.

Thanks, ScottS, for introducing your collection.
As far as I have researched in the local web sites, few introduce such a pre-war fire company flag as yours.
It is a rare one.

I am curious about the propaganda leaflets too.
Please introduce them if you are OK.

Thanks Shinpachi, I would be happy to share the 4 leaflets that were sent to my dad (Tommy ~11 years old) from I believe his cousin. I have also included the letter. I debated sending the letter, because I did not want to offend anyone, but I think it puts the leaflets in perspective. My apologies if it offends anyone. There is also a clipping from the Chicgo Tribune with a drawing of Art in the center tile. I have no intention of selling any of these or the flag, but does anyone have an idea of value? Thanks.
Arthur Hussey.png
ArthurHusseyPic.png
Prop1.png
Prop2.png
Prop3.png
Prop4.png
WWII Letter.png

Last edited:
As I had never seen the Japanese propaganda leaflets, probably something writen in English for the allies, before, I said I was curious about your collection but -
Wow, ScottS! These are awesomely fantastic beyond my imagination!:shock:
Many Thanks!

Their workmanship as cartoonists shows no influence of Japanese style in drawing as well as colorful printing except the additional Kanji letters "通行証 本票持参者ハ投降者ニ付保護ヲ加フベシ(PASS Give protection to the person(s) who brings this handbill because he is a surrenderor)". In my instant impression, these works should be remarked in a page of Japanese cartoon history.

About the letter from your dad's cousin, frankly, it is a little difficult for me to read all as handwritten well but I had better tell you that I have no bad impression about what he says at all because I, a postwar generation, am only interested in what happened during the war in fact.

I do appreciate your wise and kind decision, ScottS!

Here is the translation for you Shinpachi-san. You have done the same for us so many times, I'll return the favor. The letter reads:

"Dear Folks,

I have a little time to spare so I thought I would drop you a line. Well, I'm now a full fledge [sp] veteran of the Southwest Pacific. I've just been through the most trying experience of my life. One night in particular I gave my ["life" is scratched out] heart to God. Tell Tommy I got him a Jap rifle. If I can ever get it back I'll give it to him. Its a little dirty but when its cleaned up it will look like a million dollars. The Japs use a longer rifle than us. As a matter of fact it is taller than Tommy. I couldn't get a flag because dead Japs smell too bad. The Japs were sure caught with their pants down [meaning seriously suprised]. I had one flag, but somebody swiped it from me.

I ran across a Jap dump [supply area] the other day. It was just loaded down with Sake and beer. Their sake isn't so good but their beer is delicious. I wish I had some of it [unreadable scratched out] now. The Imperial Tiger Marines of Japan aren't anymore. Our boys sure slaughtered them. The Japs are no match for Americans.

I'm enclosing some real Jap propaganda sheets. They think they can make us stop fighting by spreading crap like that around. The boys here really get a laugh out of them. I bet Mary will be shocked when she sees them but thats what the Japs put out and I think the folks back home should see them. Our outfit has been recommended for the Presidential Citation. I hope we get it. We have been promised that we will be home in June or July. I sure hope so. Well I guess thats all. Say hello too everybody.

Love,

Art
"

Those leaflets and letter you own there, ScottS, are priceless heirlooms. You should never let them get out of your family for any price. If they go anywhere they should be in a museum on display. Wonderful post.

Last edited:
It's so kind of you, Matt!
I do appreciate your taking time for me too!

Maybe the beer would be KIRIN. It tasted bitter, more bitter than current one.
My father and his friends liked it.

Yes, ScottS. They are priceless.
Thank you very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back