Identifying my grandfathers patches

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mainelybrew

Recruit
Oct 16, 2007
Central Maine
First off, Hi to everyone. My buddy who is active on this forum sent me link to here. I am doing some research because I have been asked to build a display case for my grandfathers service patches, ribbons, and other stuff he has including his induction letter. He never really has spoken to many people about his service though I plan on prodding him more than I have in the past. I know he was a B-24 pilot and served in WW2 and in the Korean war. I think he was a flight instructor in the Korean. As far as the patches go. From left to right.

Also, when displaying any of this, if there are unofficial guidelines I should follow, that would be helpful too.

1) don't know and sorry it's not a good pic
2) unidentifed
3) China-Burma-India campaign
4) Aviation division
5) Red Raiders - 22nd bomb group
6) unidentified and sorry it's not very clear
7) unidentified
8) USAAF
9) 5th Airfoce
10) unidentified
11) unidentified

Dsc02627.gif

Thanks in advance for anyhelp you can give me.

MB

number 2 - Hell on Wheels tank patch 16th division
number 8 - 8th airforce

you'll find them all here if u wanna dig:

American Military Patches, Other Insignia and Decorations of World War Two

Comiso - 8th AF is a Winged 8, number 8 is the Army Air Corps patch..

The campaign ribbons on left are CBI related and but I don't know which.

I can't see the 4th lower pin on right well enough but looks like jump badge related, the prop in middle is confusing. Top pin is of course 'Pilot' wings for USAAF. Sr Pilot has star and command has star with surrounding wreath.

16th Armoured Division was not "Hell on Wheels" however.

Only 2nd Armoured Division is "Hell on Wheels".

1st Armoured is "Old Ironsides".

Infact the 16th never had an official name.

Here are the official names of the US Army Armoured Divisions:

1st: Old Ironsides
2nd: Hell on Wheels
3rd: Spearhead
9th: Phantom Division
10th: Tiger Division
14th: Liberators
49th: Lone Star

The 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 15th, 16th, 19th, 20th, 27th, 30th, 39th, 40th, and 50th never adopted an official nickname and dont have them on there patch for that reason.

I enlarged and color corrected but it's not much help..

Attachments

• patch lrge.jpg
    patch lrge.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 74
I will look them up when I get home tonight, I think I can id all of them. I have seen the first one before and should be able to find it. The third from the end on the right is one of my old units. It is the 75th ID. It has been a reserve unit for a long time now. The unit was in WWII and at the Battle of the Bulge. Ovet the years it has been 75th ID, 75th MAC, 75th ID (Exercise). Currently it is back to the 75th ID. It main fuction is the combat training of units being deployed into combat. When I was assigned to the 75th, it was heavy into computer simulations at the front level and theather level. We trained Division and Corps level staffs and field units.

DBII

Here was the patch that one of you had try to enlarge. It is damaged by smoke/fire. It may have just been a memento from a comerade :( and not actually his. I hope that is not the case.

Dsc02630.gif

MB

I will look them up when I get home tonight, I think I can id all of them. I have seen the first one before and should be able to find it. The third from the end on the right is one of my old units. It is the 75th ID. It has been a reserve unit for a long time now. The unit was in WWII and at the Battle of the Bulge. Ovet the years it has been 75th ID, 75th MAC, 75th ID (Exercise). Currently it is back to the 75th ID. It main fuction is the combat training of units being deployed into combat. When I was assigned to the 75th, it was heavy into computer simulations at the front level and theather level. We trained Division and Corps level staffs and field units.

DBII

We got all of them except the one that is real blurry. If I could see what it is I could probably figure it out but.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back