Igor Sikorsky, aviation genius and pioneer, father of the World’s first practical helicopter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'd say that the two helicopters that entered service while he was still making test flights in the VS-300 (which never entered production) jointly held the title of "first practical helicopter"!
Admittedly, the mass-produced Sikorsky R-4 was just a couple of months behind these examples.

Fletner Fl282 (the world's first series production helicopter): operational 1943 from shipboard in the Aegean, Baltic, and Mediterranean, often in extreme weather conditions, as single-seat observation and small-cargo helo and from land as a 2-seat liaison (artillery-spotting) and recon helo.

Focke-Achgelis Fa223: entered series production in mid-1942, used in 1944 to recover two crashed aircraft in high-altitude terrain, and was used to transport troops and sling-loaded artillery guns at altitudes up to 5,200 feet (useful load 1,500 lbs, max payload 2,200 lbs).
Service ceiling: 6,600ft (vertical climb), 16.000ft (with some forward movement).
2 crew. 4 passengers in cabin with 8 more on seats attached to the outriggers.

Large-scale production of these were thwarted by Allied bombing raids, however.

I'm fortunate to know Sergei Sikorsky well. Elena and I have waged a notably unsuccessful two-front campaign trying to get him to write his memoirs but at 97 he's not much motivated. Which is a genuine loss to aviation and wider history. One of THE best examples of contributions by legal immigrants. Besides that, Sergei is a gifted story teller. Among other things, he realized that Girls Are Different when Howard Hughes landed at the factory after his world flight. He introduced Ginger Rogers, who wore a skin-tight clingy white dress...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back