III./JG54, Black Friday, 29 Dec 1944...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Guys, this is from Green Hearts by Urbanke. No date of the photo is given but maybe it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Best I can do because I am on my way out the door...

Attachments

• Focke-Wulf_FW_190D-9_4__Merz_400x150.jpg
    Focke-Wulf_FW_190D-9_4__Merz_400x150.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 112
OK here are the pics I shot from the book, came out pretty decent.....

Dave, we're gonna have to get Merv to work on the Spit code letters, looks like his are too small.....

Attachments

• ~Dora9 003.jpg
    ~Dora9 003.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 84
  • ~Dora9 001.jpg
    ~Dora9 001.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 82
  • ~Dora9 004.jpg
    ~Dora9 004.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 90
  • ~Dora9 006.jpg
    ~Dora9 006.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 85
  • ~Dora9 009.jpg
    ~Dora9 009.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 82
  • ~Dora9 014.jpg
    ~Dora9 014.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 93
  • ~Dora9 012.jpg
    ~Dora9 012.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 83
  • ~Dora9 010.jpg
    ~Dora9 010.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 88
you better hurry the heck up bud as I am puttin in for the December 5, 1944 op real soon under your belt. plenty of tasty stuff between Jg 301 and JG 1 against many US Mustang groups, colorful 356th fg was involved with JG 301.......oh what the heck that can be saved for the following winter display.

Hey Dan found this while searching for the colors and camo for the Spitfires, this was taken in 1944 of Stousland and his Spit. The Norwegian markings show on the spinner. I wasn't sure of the colors for the aircraft, thanks Airframe for the very helpful information. I did find some radio call letters for the Norwegian Spits, but not all.

Cheers,ontos

Attachments

• Carl Stousland.jpg
    Carl Stousland.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 76
Excellent find on Stousland's crate...I would have never noticed the "S" unless it was pointed out!

I hope you can get a little time to post your progress on the Spit's skin in the IL-2 Lounge's "Black Friday" thread, you're doing a heck of a job!

Thanks Dave, I noticed the "S" when I found the photo, I'll put it on the skin. I have seen quite a few of the Spitfire pilots put letters under the nose of their aircraft. As soon as I get the camo on, I'll download some screenies.

Sounds great, and thanks for ur help on the British side Merv......

Great find on the spinner and code numbers as well.... The listing I made for skins required was just a amtter of putting the last letter for their last name....

Erich, yes Im gettin geared up for another JG301 video, been readin Willi's book again in the sh!tter lol....

OK, this is what I have so far on the Spitfire flown by Lt. Stousland. Still a lot of work to be done, weathering, internals etc. Please look it over and let me know of any errors or corrections to be made. I'm available for e-mail or pm.

Attachments

• Lt Stousland 2.jpg
    Lt Stousland 2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Lt Stousland Spitfire 1.jpg
    Lt Stousland Spitfire 1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Lt Stousland Spitfire 3.jpg
    Lt Stousland Spitfire 3.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Looks great, but note the following.
1) The spinners had lost the Norwegian colours and 'Sky' base colour during the period concerned. They were then black overall.
2) The fuselage roundel shown is the early war period 'C' type roundel. It should be the 'C1' type, with a narrow yellow outer band, and the red centre circle should be the enlarged one, making the white ring look narrow.
3) As the Squadron was part of 2 TAF, by this period the 'Sky' tailbands were being overpainted in camouflage colours. This meant that the serial numbers were moved forward, virtually touching the individual code letter, and in smaller black characters than the official 8 inch high version. I need to verify if the 'Sky' bands had gone on the date in question.
4) It was common practice in some squadrons to repeat the individual code letter under the nose, in order to aid identification to ground crew when the aircraft was taxiing. AFAIK, the squadron's Spits all had the code letter repeated.
5) I think the yellow, wing leading edge I.D. stripe was retained, although it was removed on some 2 TAF aircraft - I'll check and confirm.

Thanks for the great information Airframes, this helps allot. I have about 15 different pictures of the Norwegian Spits. and they all seem to be different. At least I wont have to work on the spinner bands, that is a bear. I'll make the new roundels and put them on and the rest of the corrections.

The major changes were mainly in 2 TAF Dave, and the roundel change was late 1941, remaining the same until the end of the war. The upper wing roundels were changed to 'C1' on all aircraft late January 45, so that's not relevant, but some squadrons used a different style and colour for the individual code letter, and sometimes the squadron codes as well. AFAIK, this doesn't affect the units concerned for the date in question but I'm in the process of double-checking everything.
I should have the full package together in the next two or three days. Did you or Dan look at the link I gave for the RCAF Typhoons? The serial and code listing against the pilot's names might be useful.

I haven't had a chance to check out the link yet, but I will!

My thoughts regarding the changes to markings/insignia, both overall down to squad level, are on a whole...such as the USAAF national insignia changes and similiar...stuff like unit recognitions (yellow band here, white stripe there...red spinner for a half a year, etc)...it's mind boggling sometimes! :lol:

Thanks a million for your help on these projects, Terry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back