Ilyushin_Il_18 Aborted take Off

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sunny91

Video Extraordinaire
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny

Attachments

• Ilyushin_Il_18.wmv
    9.7 MB · Views: 99
Glad I wasn't on that flight.
confused0068.gif

Wheels

That looks like a hack from the Angolan AF. I suspect they didn't hit their RPM/ EPR numbers to the FE told them to abort the TO. Slammed on the brakes and lit one on fire.

Probably contractors flying the aircraft.

Found this:

8202ft long airstrip at Cabinda (FNCA), West Africa.

Sunny

You can see the Pilot slamming the control back and forth in one part of the video. I assume out of anger/frustration and not control failure? There sure seemed to be a lot of people in orange safety vest wathcing the takeoff for some reason?

more détails..

I've been trying to track down reliable information about the event since I first received the link to the video several days ago. Simon Hradecky, over at The Aviation Herald reports that the aircraft (registration D2-FFR) was operated by Alada Empresa De Transportes Aereos, an Angolan airline, on behalf of DHL. Simon's report says that the RTO at high speed was due to burst tires. Kieran Daly includes some information about the Cabinda runway in his Unusual Attitude blog, on the Flight International website, and adds that "on this occasion everyone gets to walk away," -- always good to know!

This old coot is still in service; spotted at Luanda on 13th July 2009

Sunny

Last edited:
It looks to me that this particular aircraft used to be in the russian air force because of the antennae on the tail....like an Il-22 bizon maybe. Does anyone know?

Last edited:
Another good video, Sunny. I noticed he taxied out on one engine, then started the other three. Is this a fuel-saving
technique ???

Charles

We would occasionally do that on P-3s. It does save some fuel

We would taxi on the inboard two when I road P-3's, and once on station would secure either the
two inboards or the two outboards to remain on station longer. If we decended below 2,500 feet
it was a requirement to kick in the other two. I didn't know commercial aircraft did that...

Charles

Another good video, Sunny. I noticed he taxied out on one engine, then started the other three. Is this a fuel-saving
technique ???

Charles

I suspect it is more likely that the shutter speed on the camera and the propellor rotation were 'in sync'. I've seen this many times in other video clips. You can see this effect at 1:35-1:40 of this clip as well when we know all engines are running.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back