Images of events that changed our consciousness

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

michaelmaltby

Colonel
Jan 22, 2009
Toronto
These events had a profound effect on our civilization ... they changed history, diminished options, revealed humankind at our darkest, and put planet earth and all life upon it in fresh
WW1_GERMAN-SOLDIERS-POISON-GAS.jpg
Bodies Mass Graves.jpg
atomic-bomb-nagasaki-cropped.jpg
Earth-Rise.-Apollo-11.jpg
perspective. Consciousness was altered for ever, IMCO.

Agreed ..... but burning monks wasn't a shift in dimension of consciousness, IMO, ghastly and effective
download.jpg
3288365.jpg
as it was .... I considered these 2 but rejected them for the same reason.

Whereas .... I would say that the discovery (and reconstruction) of Lucy in Africa and Iceman in the Italian Alps .... completely changed our perspective of who we are, where we came from and our capabilities (Iceman tools, clothes, food etc.)

Attachments

• lucy2.jpg
    lucy2.jpg
    764 KB · Views: 130
  • product-2116-main-main-big-1418850038.jpg
    product-2116-main-main-big-1418850038.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Iceman.jpg
    Iceman.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 127
And likewise the unravelling and unveiling of the double helix genetic structure of all life forms was profound in its implications

Attachments

• 0511-1011-0113-5346_DNA_Double_Helix_clipart_image.jpg
    0511-1011-0113-5346_DNA_Double_Helix_clipart_image.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Personally, I think it was when I saw the 2nd plane hit (on live television, not in person.)

db8ee379c0ac69f9f52307d70162e264.jpg

rsary-ground-zero-world-trade-center-pentagon-flight-93-airplane-strikes-wtc-video_40000_600x450.jpg

I remember watching the 6 oclock news and seeing the monk dowse himself with gas and strike a lighter. TV did more to make our nation question our involvement in VN than anything else. was probably the best ally the NVA had. it was the first war waged in mass media and it relatively real time. prior to that the public was somewhat insulated to what went on...

what got me more than the planes crashing into the WTC was the video of people jumping from those top floors.....

On the night of December 29, 1940, Daily Mail chief photographer Herbert Mason was fire watching on the roof of the newspaper's offices between Fleet Street and the Thames. This is the image he captured of St Paul's Cathedral in the blitz..

article-1342305-0056B2CC00000258-186_634x497_zpsnu59rgiv.gif

It is impossible to over estimate the effect of this iconic image , particularly in the USA, it literally changed history.

Cheers

Steve

I remember when John John saluted his father's casket. This made even the hardest heart break. Back in those days the streets were lined with people showing their respects and the large majority of them were crying. I remember seeing teachers, police officers, and the news casters wiping tears from their eyes. It's probably the last time that will ever happen on such a large scale. I doubt few non family members would be that moved if our president died or was assassinated. If fact I believe these days some souls would actually celebrate. We have lost a decent chunk of humanity in the past couple decades.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 109
The second plane of 911 is certainly one that strikes a cord, as are the ones of the people jumping. In recent times for me those are the 2 that really hit home.

The others in this thread are equally as powerful however being before my time don't have quite the same personal effect however powerful the images are.

Fair enough, Doc, but despite your youth .. :) .. ask yourself what change each image conveys.

Hindenburg fire ... the death of Hydrogen air travel ... reported live via radio
Gas attack WW1 .... evil weapon that even Hitler would not agree to use in warfare
Genocide .... not the first of its kind but the first that was embedded in a modern industrial state and painstakingly documented by its designers and engineers
Apollo Earthrise ... space ship earth ... without this image there would not be the environmental movement that we experience today
Lucy ..... she's everybody's cousin
etc. etc.

Last edited:
Apollo Earthrise ... space ship earth ... without this image there would not be the environmental movement that we experience today

An important image, for the reasons you give, but superseded by Voyager's 'pale blue dot' image which really put things into perspective. It was taken at Sagan's urging and he certainly cashed in on it!

Pale_Blue_Dot_zpsir6rfimn.gif

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back