Incorrectly identified plane wreck and pilot remains

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MiTasol

2nd Lieutenant
Sep 19, 2012
Aw flaming stralia
To all you Sherlock Holmes types out there

A friend has been spending a lot of time over the past three years researching a military plane wreck in Victoria, Australia, and has uncovered a large number of massive anomalies that make it 99.9% positive that the identification of both the aircraft and the pilots remains is not correct.

I have studied the information he has collected and totally agree with him on the vast majority of these conclusions with one possible "exception" which I must withhold at this point.

Just to be confusing I am also positive that this "exception" is correct and that it will not change the majority of the conclusions however the RAAF denies this "exception" exists. I therefore wish to exclude it from the discussion at this time as it could "muddy the waters".

At this stage I do not want go into much more detail or to pre-empt replies from one particular source which is due in the new year however my friends "Freedom of Information" (FOI) request for information from the US authorities on how the body was identified by JPAC has been formally rejected.

Note that although JPAC has been accused of errors in other cases it is most likely that in this case JPAC made a "reasonable" decision based on what appears to us to be "irrefutable" evidence which appears to have been manufactured by other people prior to JPACs involvement in the case. They did fail to cross check the "irrefutable" evidence but given their lack of resources I can accept the JPAC staff were acting in good faith.

Because the US authorities are far more likely to respond positively to US based FOI requests for the same information, and in particular requests from recognised groups representing the units the pilot flew with, my first request is does anyone know of any group representing the former members of
  • The 20th Pursuit Sqdn, who were based at Clark Field in the Philippines at the start of the Pacific war or
  • The 4th Air Depot Group based in Australia commencing early 1942.
If anyone can connect me to such groups I will formally ask for their assistance in the FOI request and then, at the earliest practical time, post the anomalies and ask all you Sherlock's to throw your considerable investigative talents at the problem.
Thank you

Mi Tasol

Last edited:
AUSTRALIAS 5TH WORST AVAITION DISASTER

During the 2nd World War (1939 – 1945) Townsville became a major Military Base – supporting the 3 Defence Services – Navy, Army and Air force.

At that time, Australia, which has a land mass similar in size to North America, had a total resident population of approximately 6.5 million people. Today – that number has increased to around 22 million.

Townsville – situated on the east coast and to the north of the State of Queensland was a city of 25,000 people. The present population is 140,000 and remains a major Military Base and Training Area for Australian and visiting Forces.

As hostilities progressed the USA was called on to assist the Allies. By early 1943 the Japanese forces were moving south towards Australia, via New Guinea.

With the advent of the influx of Australian Troops moving north, and the huge numbers coming in from the USA – Townsville grew almost overnight to become home to over 100,000 local residents and service personnel.

In December of 1942 the USAAF (United States Army Air Force) formed a number of new (additional) Air Force Units. One of these was the 345th Bomb Group. This Group was made up of 4 Squadrons of 'medium' bombers – B-25 Mitchell aircraft. The Squadrons were the 498th, 499th 500th & 501st.

At about the same time the USA formed their 5th Air Force and selected the Queensland Capital City of Brisbane Australia as its Head Quarters. Being designated an Air Force meant that it was a 'self sufficient' operation in its own right – being fully equipped and managed from within Australia. This USA 5th Air Force was to be responsible for the war effort in what was referred to as 'The South West Pacific Battle Area'. This area took in Australia, New Guinea and the Coral Sea. Townsville was selected as its northern out post.

In April of 1943 the 345th Bomb Group were sufficiently trained and equipped to enter the war. With additional temporary fuel tanks fitted into their bomb bays – the first wave of aircraft began their journey to Australia. Unlike the modern aircraft of today – these planes were much slower and less fuel efficient – which meant they had to 'Island hop' across the Pacific Ocean – landing on primitive airstrips on some very small islands – where fuel stocks had already been shipped in for them.

The first contingent of aircraft arrived – firstly to the Archerfield (Brisbane) Air Force Base and then on to Amberley Air Base near Ipswich. After regrouping they then moved on to a new wartime base at Woodstock out side Townsville where they acclimatised to the Australian conditions and prepared to move into battle in New Guinea.

After only a short time in battle against the Japanese shipping it was realised that the B-25 Medium Bomber was not suitable for this type of warfare. So it was decided that all of the 345th Bomb Group aircraft (approx 80 in total) would return to Townsville for modification. This work was carried out at the USAAF 4th Air Depot – a huge workshop complex that was set up along what is now Duckworth Street – in the area between Bayswater Road and Dalrymple Road. This meant that aircraft 'drove' down Duckworth Street from the Garbutt Air Base (the current Air Port) or from the Stock Route Air Strip, which later became Dalrymple Road, as we know it today. The path from the Garbutt Airfield also involved aircraft crossing the very busy main north –south highway and the equally busy main coastal railway line.

It should be realised that there were a number of landing strips and facilities around Townsville by this time – to accommodate the huge number of Aircraft that were either based here or in transit to or from New Guinea. These included – the Garbutt Airfield, the Stock Route Air Field (Dalrymple Road), The Bohle Airfield (which is now the Bohle Drag Racing Strip on Shaw's Road), the Weir Strip (Ross River Road near the Weir School), another complex was in the area where the Murray Sporting Complex is now. These were complemented by fully equipped facilities at Anthill Plains, Woodstock, Reid River and Charters Towers.

The 4th Air Depot (Duckworth Street) was a massive facility capable of affecting all kinds of aircraft assembly, repair and maintenance. This included the modifications required on the 345th aircraft – where by the planes were fitted with an array of 50 cal guns – thus converting them to 'strafers'. This weaponry was of sufficient firepower to be able to cut a ship in half. At the same time as this modification was occurring the US had developed a 'skip bomb'. This was a bomb that was dropped from almost water level and skipped across the water to the target (the Japanese Shipping).

During the course of these modifications being carried out, some of the crew were allowed to take R & R (rest and recuperation) leave. There were normally 5 crewmembers for each Bomber.

At approx 5.00am on Saturday the 7th of August 1943, 20 men from the 345/500th Squadron, 1 from the 345/499th and 2 men from 347/67th Fighter Squadron (23 in total) boarded a C-47 Transport Aircraft at the Garbutt Air Field (Townsville Airport). This C-47 from the USAAF 317/40th Transport Squadron was 'crewed' by 4 men – 2 Pilots, an Engineer and a Radio Operator. The aircraft – C-47, S/N 41-7733 took off with 27 US personnel on board.

Shortly after take off, as the plane was gaining altitude, it some how lost power and crashed in to the sea – into Cleveland Bay in the vicinity of the mouth of Alligator Creek – just off the coast line from Townsville. There were no survivors.

Sadly – this disaster was not the end for these unfortunate victims. The US Authorities had long been allocated a separate section of the Townsville Cemetery, as a resting place for their fallen. This section was suitably adorned with a flagpole complete with a Bald Eagle atop. The upper section of that flagpole still exists, relocated to a Boy Scouts Den. The lower section was also moved to a local Military Site, and is now surrounded by large brass plaques that commemorate the US War effort in the South West Pacific Region.

While the Townsville Cemetery records are rather vague, I have no doubt the victims of this crash were initially buried there along with hundreds of their comrades in arms.

In 1945 the US Military made the decision to relocate all their fallen to one site, and declared that a section of the Ipswich Cemetery (in the south of Queensland) would become their Australian War Cemetery.

A mammoth project was then embarked upon – and all bodies were exhumed from Cemeteries across the whole State, and reburied there.

When hostilities ceased at Wars end – the remains of all those now interred in the Ipswich facility, were again exhumed and after a fitting parade and service they were placed aboard a ship and finally taken home.

During the whole war period there was over 200 crashes in the Townsville Area (Ayr – Townsville – Ingham – Charters Towers). Another 200+ in Australian air space north of Ingham (Ingham to New Guinea) and approx the same number (200) in the area along the east coast of Australia south from Ayr.

Of those very costly (in human sacrifice) – in the 5 worst aviation disasters in Australia's short history, Numbers 1, 2 and this event as number 5, were all USAAF aircraft. Ironically – all 3 disasters occurred in the northern part of Queensland and within the same 6-month period of 1943.

While there was a large number of aircraft crashes and associated loss of lives, this event was somewhat unusual and more specifically devastating than the others.

Unusual in that most on board were from the same Squadron (345/500th) and, as fate would have it – each man belonged to a different aircraft flight crew. That is almost one from each of the 345/500th Bomber aircraft. This resulted in a situation where not only had the Squadrons manpower been greatly depreciated, but they were left with almost no aircraft that had a full crew complement. It was then a major task to find and train new men to bring their aircraft back to an operational standard.

The 345th Bomb Group was disbanded at the end of the War. Since that time – over 60 years on – the men from the 345th and in particular the 345/500th Squadron have maintained a very active Social Association, where by they (those that still survive today) hold regular reunions and produce a quartley newsletter and generally support each other in their old age. The Association leaders have also demonstrated great foresight, and have progressively and actively encouraged relatives of those who served – to join their Association. This initiative will no doubt guarantee that the memories and deeds of the 345/500th will live on for generations to come.

Not unlike the 345/500th, the memory of those taken in this disaster will also live on – both at home and abroad. They will be remembered here in Townsville Australia, by way of a fitting Memorial and regular Commemorative Services.

AUSTRALIAS 5TH WORST AVAITION DISASTER

This work was carried out at the USAAF 4th Air Depot – a huge workshop complex that was set up along what is now Duckworth Street – in the area between Bayswater Road and Dalrymple Road. This meant that aircraft 'drove' down Duckworth Street from the Garbutt Air Base (the current Air Port) or from the Stock Route Air Strip, which later became Dalrymple Road, as we know it today. The path from the Garbutt Airfield also involved aircraft crossing the very busy main north –south highway and the equally busy main coastal railway line.

Thanks Herman.

I did not know that the 4th was such a very large and dispersed unit. Presumably being so large they will have some formal group association.

All I knew of them was that they had a large assembly factory in Geelong Vic and smaller depots at West Footscray, Laverton and Essendon Vic. A search a few minutes back also shows Archerfield and Brisbane in Qld, Broome WA plus Wagga Wagga and Tocumwal in NSW as well as the Townsville base you summarised.

The pilot I am chasing was a Victorian based fighter ferry pilot.

Do you have any links to any 4th Group historians or groups. My various searches for "USAAC 4th Air Depot" association and "USAAF 4th Air Depot" history and similar have, so far, been totally unproductive.

Thanks

Mi

Hi Herman

I have now received 1946 data that confirms that the 20th Pursuit was one of the many units in the 4th Air Depot Group.

Now have the Honor Roll from the pilots home state in the US and that confirms one of the anomalies. I am following up with the keepers of the particular honor roll to see if they can confirm why the roll shows the information it does as this would be absolute proof that the body was not who it has been identified as.

Mi

Hi Herman
In your brief above you mention two other USAAF crashes that were the first and second worst Aus disasters.
Do you have a short history on those as well?
Mi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back