Incredible story and incredible plane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"I have pics of 8th AF stangs in similiar shape with the rudder nearly torn off the tip to 1/3rd of a wing shorn completely off due to 2cm Fla."

I'd like to see them. Perhaps my respect for the P-51 can be elevated. Please post them.

Dam, that is nice info and pics. I have also seen pictures of US aircraft in the East coming back to base with holes in the aircraft and peaces shot of that you would think to yourself that this could never be true.

The pilots were great and thus knew how to handle their aircraft and their aircraft also did not drop them.

It is like the B-17 coming back to base looking like a wreck but they still brought back the crews on a wing and a prayer.

Henk

ive seen a Wellington with half a fuselage ripped off fabric and you can ese the Geodetic thingy

I don't think that's damage from 20mm AA either. I have lots of pics of 20mm damage and it's nowhere near that bad. I believe that it took about five 20mm rounds to bring down most allied fighters and about 20 to bring down a heavy bomber.

If a 20mm round could do that kind of damage, it would most likely take only one shot to bring down a fighter and probably 4 or so to bring down a heavy.

Exit hole from German 20mm HE round:

http://www.web-birds.com/12th/57/sterling0017.jpg

Good story, thats not the first time I have heard of radials having pots shot out and still running, as for the 20mm damage it would depend on what load was being used as to the amount of damage caused. The standard 20mm H.E round used Tetrile which was a fairly powerful explosive but it looks as you suggest like some heavier type of flak had cause the holes in the aircraft.

Quite a story indeed. The damage appears consistent with 37mm though, no?

Flak 43 37mm gun in 1944

300px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-301-1957-32,_Nordfrankreich,_Zwillings-Flak.jpg

Last edited:
I think every type of plane had those "holy crap" stories. '47s seemed to have a whole lot more! Whatever the case may be, this is one of those amazing "holy crap"-ers!

In post #8 of this thread, Erich said:

by the way the 368th fg will be having quite a book come out soon on the hard fought unit.

Did that book come out and if so, what is the title?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back