Industrial Designers...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Seeing that we (some, or most of us) like mechanical thingmajigs on this forum, I thought that I'd stir a bit among the wee grey ones...
Henry Dreyfuss, Raymond Loewy, Brooks Stevens and others...

Which is your favourite industrial designer?

Maybe not an industrial designer as such but....Virgil Max "Ex" Exner, Sr. was an automobile designer for numerous American companies, notably Chrysler and Studebaker (didn't know that). He is best known for his "Forward Look", "The New 100-Million Dollar Look", design on the 1955-1963 Chrysler products and his fondness of fins on cars for both aesthetic and aerodynamic reasons...

Damn those Mopar cars look good!

Raymond Loewy by far ... he ecompasses the Lockheed Constellation, the Concorde, the Coke Bottle, and the Greyhound Bus, just to name a few. He was consulted for the design of the bridge for the original Star Trek, that affected the design of modern Navy ships.

And I just scratched the surface.

Just found out that he wasn't the real designer of the PRR GG1 locomotive, but a gentleman named Donald Dohner, Loewy only did some changes, like welding instead for rivets and other things, but as it turns out, the PRR had already considered that move....

Raymond Loewy by far ... he ecompasses the Lockheed Constellation, the Concorde, the Coke Bottle, and the Greyhound Bus, just to name a few. He was consulted for the design of the bridge for the original Star Trek, that affected the design of modern Navy ships.

And I just scratched the surface.

Not to mention the beautiful job on Air Force One.

Exner did indeed design some beautiful cars, then came some really odd ones in 1960 (Valiant) and in 61-62 (Dodge and Plymouths). The 1960 Chrysler 300F is one of my favorite designs, almost perfect from any angle.

Last edited:
Influential ID's must include this man.

Sir Herbert Nigel Gresley (19 June 1876 – 5 April 1941)[1] was one of Britain's most famous steam locomotive engineers, who rose to become Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER). He was the designer of some of the most famous steam locomotives in Britain, including the LNER Class A1 and LNER Class A4 4-6-2 Pacific engines. An A1 pacific, Flying Scotsman, was the first steam locomotive officially recorded over 100 mph in passenger service, and an A4, number 4468 Mallard, still holds the record for being the fastest steam locomotive in the world (126 mph).
Gresley's engines were considered elegant, both aesthetically and mechanically. His invention of a three-cylinder design with only two sets of Walschaerts valve gear, the Gresley conjugated valve gear, produced smooth running and power at lower cost than would have been achieved with a more conventional three sets of Walschaerts gear.

I've many times wondered, if a CMStP&P class A 4-4-2 Atlantic could have broken this record during its early life, as it many times ran 100+ mph.....between Chicago and the Twin Cities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back