Info needed please on (Sturm).JG3 FW190A-8s

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alte Hase

Airman 1st Class
Sep 25, 2011
Hi all,

Since reading up for my latest build (a JG300 Sturmbock), I've become very interested in the Sturmgruppen...I have a few questions I'm hoping you guys who are very knowledgable on here could please help me answer?

Here goes:

1)Does anybody know the Werknummer of 'Black 13', Werner Gerth's FW190A-8 R2/R8 with ii (Sturm).JG3?

2)Does anybody know the Werknummer of 'Black 8', Willi Maximowitz's FW190A-8 R2 of iv.(Sturm) JG3?
Also, what was the REAL colour on this aircraft's spinner, as I have seen red,yellow,black and white on various models of 'Black 8'?

3) Please could somebody tell me when did Sturm JG3 change its camouflage from having the distinctive black cowlings and white RV band, to having the anonymous colours depicted in the famous photo of Wilhelm Moritz's Sturmbock W.Nr 681382?

Thanks!

from "FW 190 Aces of the Western Front" by John Weal, it seems that many of the IV(Sturm)./JG 3 machines were brought over from Sturmstaffel 1 and therefore retained many of those markings including the badge. That would be about June 44. By August 44 is when Moritz' 190 was sporting that camo.

I thought it was around August 44 that JG3 changed to the dull, incognito camouflage. But, I thought Sturmstaffel 1 just had normal camo and the black/white/black RV band with unit shield?

I was meaning the entirely black cowling,Udet badge, 'wedge' shaped black area covering the cowling flaps bordered in red/white?

Can anybody tell me please, the markings on 'black 8', flown by Willi Maximowitz, namely the colourful spinner, and red trim around the 'eagle wings'...were they ever changed to plain black and white?

Found a couple profiles from Photobucket inluding a page from "Jagdwaffe: Defense of the Reich" series which I believe is authored by Eric Mombeek.

Attachments

• fw190_maximowitz.jpg
    fw190_maximowitz.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 182
  • Fw190A-8R2WilliMaximowitz11JG3jun19.jpg
    Fw190A-8R2WilliMaximowitz11JG3jun19.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 198
  • FW190-maximowitz2.jpg
    FW190-maximowitz2.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 208
  • Willi_Maximowitz.jpg
    Willi_Maximowitz.jpg