Interesting photos from history (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

davparlr

Senior Master Sergeant
Mar 23, 2006
Southern California
I was browsing through Google Books of old Life magazines. In the Nov. 23, 1936, issue, I came across a couple of pictures oddly grouped in the same article "Another President Goes to Sea". The first picture is of the USS Indianapolis, the ship that took the A bomb to Tinian. A couple of pages afterwards is a picture of President Hoover on the deck of the battleship "Arizona". Odd to see the ship that represents the start of the War for the US and the ship that ended it together in the same story.

LIFE - Google Books

I've been looking through them also, look for the "official" story of the first bombing of Japan. The credit was given to a force out of Australia that refueled in a secret location before returning, although it is clearly the Doolittle raid.

My college has a collection of every Life magazine in book form from about 1920, if anyone wants to see an issue, I'm sure I could copy it if they let me. They are sure fun to look at.

I'm up to the Sept. '42 issues. The interesting thing that I have noticed is how accurate the information is concerning the German/Russian front and British setbacks, (as well as victories), but wildly innacurate when it comes to the U.S./Japanese actions. In the issue that deals with the Coral Sea battle, (just as one example), it is claimed that we sank 19 Japanese ships with the loss of one destroyer. (IIRC, it might have been claimed as an Oiler) I don't expect them to confirm for the Japanese the loss of the Lexington, naturally, but 19 to 1? There is the origin of the Colin P. Kelly myth in an early issue also. Some suprising admissions also, the P-39 is admitted to be a disapointment, and the story of the loss of Wake Island is pretty correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back