Intrusive Ads (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah, I get loads of women's underwear ads. It seems that it doesn't understand that I'm not interested in women's underwear, I'm just interested in women.
I have had lots of useful suggestions for my next bra, its nice that us older men are considered, all I need now is a chest that they would fit lol

Good thing the algorithm wasn't paying too much when I was taking criminal justice classes or it'd been posting serial killer documentaries.

Guys, don't you use ad-blockers?
I don't see any ads here (this forum, not only this thread) - I'm using Adblock Plus as an extension of my internet browser (Firefox).
Don't see any ads on most of the sites I open. Once in a blue moon a site will tell me that I need to turn off the ad-blocker if I want to visit it. I have 2 choices: never to visit that site (most often) and to add the site to the exceptions (very rare).
You can try it for free.

Guys, don't you use ad-blockers?
I don't see any ads here (this forum, not only this thread) - I'm using Adblock Plus as an extension of my internet browser (Firefox).
Don't see any ads on most of the sites I open. Once in a blue moon a site will tell me that I need to turn off the ad-blocker if I want to visit it. I have 2 choices: never to visit that site (most often) and to add the site to the exceptions (very rare).
You can try it for free.
Same here, except I switched to uBlock Origin in my FF. It has a feature where you can right click on any 'element' in the page (such as "We use cookies.... blah blah ..." panel at the bottom of a page) and select 'Block Element' and it will just get rid of that one element and you can see the whole page, un-annoyed. Another useful FF tool is 'NoScript' wherein you can turn off invokations of javascript created elements but leave the relevant page items alone. Many ads and annoying pop-ups are inserted in the DOM by javascript (.js) files. Both UBlock and NoScript put their icons in the FF toolbar. You can temporarily turn off both of them if you suspect something important might be mistakenly blocked. I always disable them when ordering online or banking online, etc. You can, of course, "white list" any page or site you want and they won't touch it.

Here are my settings from the toolbar icon for NoScript, where I prevent google and other tracking. The bottom 2 sources of javascript (tracking scripts) are blocked.

noscript.png

Drop down from UBlock Origin. Notice how many ads have been blocked since I installed the thing 5 years ago. (1.2 million.)

ublock.png

Same here, except I switched to uBlock Origin in my FF. It has a feature where you can right click on any 'element' in the page (such as "We use cookies.... blah blah ..." panel at the bottom of a page) and select 'Block Element' and it will just get rid of that one element and you can see the whole page, un-annoyed.
I was using this program earlier. Maybe because of my browser (Firefox) or my browser settings, it never asked me to block an element of the page (what you describe above). The page simply opens with a banner telling me: You are seeing this message because ad or script blocking software is interfering with this page. The banner was at the bottom of the page and didn't bother me at all.
Maybe I should go back and re-install that app.
Thanks for the reminder!

I was using this program earlier. Maybe because of my browser (Firefox) or my browser settings, it never asked me to block an element of the page (what you describe above). The page simply opens with a banner telling me: You are seeing this message because ad or script blocking software is interfering with this page. The banner was at the bottom of the page and didn't bother me at all.
Maybe I should go back and re-install that app.
Thanks for the reminder!
Some smarty pants sites have the software developer write a 'dummy' (invisible) element in the DOM and then turn around and try to copy the contents back, as a test to see if an add-blocker is active. (There are several ways of doing this.) You can click on the uBlock tool to get the drop down and then click the blue button (big "power-on" looking button) and it will stop the blocking of the DOM element(s). (You may have to refresh the page, PF5.) Whenever I hit one of these pages, I immediately leave and try to find their competitor and use their site. So, it's an 'FU' to their 'FU'. It's your browser and PC and you can choose to see or not see whatever you want. I don't want ANYTHING from such a site. BTW, sites that check for this are getting more and more rare, for obvious reasons. (I'm a retired software engineer and computer-libertarian in bent, so things like this just burn my biscuits!)

P.S. DOM = Document Object Model. There's a good Wiki page on it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread