Inverted Engine Preference

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm curious as to why the German aircraft designers prefered to mount the V-12 engines in all their planes that utilized them in an inverted position. I'm not sure if there IS a particular answer. I'm just curious because it seems peculiar to the German designers, and if anybody has an answer it's to be found on the greatest WW2 aircraft site....... HERE. Thanks for your help and interest(if there IS any)hahahahahaha.......

Hi Hollywood,

>I'm curious as to why the German aircraft designers prefered to mount the V-12 engines in all their planes that utilized them in an inverted position.

According to von Gersdorff et al., which is pretty much the bible on German engines, it was a Reichsluftfahrtministerium requirement that was established to yield the best view over the nose of the aircraft.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

I guess common systems between aircraft was a plus also because the
Ju88 and He111 Bombers shared inverted V-12's so the "die was cast" so to speak as far as liquid cooled power plants go..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back