IPMS GB 1/72 Airfix P-51 OOB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
As I mentioned somewhere else being a member of the NSW IPMS bunch we are having an OOB Group Build. All using the same Airfix 1/72 P-51 kit, the new one. The only thing we can use are aftermarket decals, and seat belts. Any scratch building must be from the spru. Right up my alley.

I'm doing an RAF 3 Sqn plane, the sky blue tail with the Southern Cross pattern upon it. I'll be using the CV*W (for William) code and it's serial from a purchased decal sheet. I'm gonna use the pilot, but will have to move the arms cuz this one has his hands on his legs. The plane will be in lift-off banked left, gear coming up (my plan anyway). So I will have to have the pilot holding the stick, back and left. The left hand on the throttle. Wish me luck on this one.

Attachments

• IPMS GB P51-1.jpg
    IPMS GB P51-1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 200
To start I have shaved off the throttle quadrant........... it was just too flat. I then glued it to the end of a piece of sprue then carved the sprue back to it's shape. I have drilled a couple of holes for the mixture arm and the throttle. I've also made an IP insert for the instrument section, shaved and shaped from the part of the sprue with the label. I'll be cutting the decal apart for the instruments and the surround.

I sailor on, on another start to finish...... sorry guys, and Gal.

Attachments

• IPMS GB P51-2a.jpg
    IPMS GB P51-2a.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 191
  • IPMS GB P51-2b.jpg
    IPMS GB P51-2b.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 211
  • IPMS GB P51-2c.jpg
    IPMS GB P51-2c.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 221
Thanks guys........... as far as fits goes...... it's hard to believe this little bugger goes together so well.

Now as far as the gear retracting, as my plan goes, I have to cut the strut up and add about 3mm to get the little alignment bars straight as they would be with no weight on the legs. It would be so easy if I could use styrene, but I have to use the sprue. The leg needs some added to the end to extend to the pivot point. And..... the gear door bars on the legs need to be pivoted up the leg as it would when the gear retracts. I'll post a diagram from the ass'y manual.

This is gonna be a bit of a chore.

I love those 1:72 scale Airfix kits. So much potential for scratch building if you can deal with small scale. Looking forward to how this turns out.

Well, working on the Heinkle for GB22 has got me going again. So I have come back to pick on the Mustang for the AIPMS gb comp.

I found the markings I want to use, W for William, too simple.

I scraped the oxy hose off the kit sidewall and replaced it with stretched sprue.
I thinned some stretched sprue , flattened it and added stiffeners to the radiator exhaust deflector.
I filed a gear door actuator cylinder, 2, from another stretched sprue. That was tedious.
Added a short piece of sprue for the latches on the main gear doors.
I added a piece of flattened sprue to the back of the pilot seat, a plate the antennae from the vert stab ties into this.
I whittled a piece of sprue for the trim wheel, and some more stretched sprue for the battery cables.
Not pictured but I used a .25mm drill and deepened the holes of the breather plate on the sides of the nose.
I also fashioned seat belts from stretched sprue........ since there will be no pilot inside.
Just trying to make it a it more 3D.

Painting has started.

I sailor on.
A couple of days and back on to the Heinkle

Attachments

• IPMS GB P51-3 CV-W scheme.jpg
    IPMS GB P51-3 CV-W scheme.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IPMS GB P51-3b.jpg
    IPMS GB P51-3b.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 168
  • IPMS GB P51-3c.jpg