Iranian drones - Kremlin's Vergeltungswaffen? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well for starters, in the 3rd article I find this statement totally ignorant.

1664927356763.png

Is it true what I read today that Ukrainians hacked an Iranian-made Russian drone while in operations? I've read that the Iranian drone is almost a copy of American equipment, but info is hard to find.

Is it true what I read today that Ukrainians hacked an Iranian-made Russian drone while in operations? I've read that the Iranian drone is almost a copy of American equipment, but info is hard to find.
Actually there is all kinds of information out there on how to build fixed wing an multi copter drones and even armatures can build some pretty hefty stuff in their garages. Where it gets complicated is when you start putting sensors, advanced camera equipment and weapons on the drone. Getting the drone to fly "Beyond Visual Line of Sight" (BVLOS) is another challenge where the operator has to consider the GPS interface and the susceptibility of the drone getting "hacked" by the enemy. Lastly one has to consider sensitive technology of construction (materials) if it has a degree of stealth built into it. What people tend to forget (to include Mr. Cooper) drones ARE MADE TO BE EXPENDABLE!

Actually there is all kinds of information out there on how to build fixed wing an multi copter drones and even armatures can build some pretty hefty stuff in their garages. Where it gets complicated is when you start putting sensors, advanced camera equipment and weapons on the drone. Getting the drone to fly "Beyond Visual Line of Sight" (BVLOS) is another challenge where the operator has to consider the GPS interface and the susceptibility of the drone getting "hacked" by the enemy. Lastly one has to consider sensitive technology of construction (materials) if it has a degree of stealth built into it. What people tend to forget (to include Mr. Cooper) drones ARE MADE TO BE EXPENDABLE!

What I had read, from an unreliable source, was that the comm systems were compromised by the Ukrainians because they were similar to OSs on American drones.

As for "expendable" sure, they're designed for that, but having one turned against your own side has to be an ugly surprise -- if indeed that happened. The loss in that case would likely not be the drone but rather its failure to succeed in its mission.

Again, this is all if this did indeed happen, which I'm unsure of and unwilling to state as fact.

What I had read, from an unreliable source, was that the comm systems were compromised by the Ukrainians because they were similar to OSs on American drones.

As for "expendable" sure, they're designed for that, but having one turned against your own side has to be an ugly surprise -- if indeed that happened. The loss in that case would likely not be the drone but rather its failure to succeed in its mission.

Again, this is all if this did indeed happen, which I'm unsure of and unwilling to state as fact.
And that is always a risk providing your enemy can figure out a way to seize control of the drone. Right now there are several applications being used by law enforcement that can detect consumer drones (and others) and where they are being operated from.

One example

I was told by some folks in the manufacturing sector that the more sophisticated UAVs have a feature where if they become disabled from the operator to include crashing or being shot down, some of the more sensitive components self destruct by built in circuitry that basically "fries" critical components by high voltage introduction or by electro-static discharge.

What FLYBOY J said,:)

Also, with the advent of modern EPROM(or similar acronym) chips, the 'single use' encryption key/chip has entered widespread use for (as an example) communication encryption keys. The chip onboard the drone is programmed to match a sophisticated encryption key that is also programmed into the controller, and that unique key will be used only once for that specific drone for that specific mission. Sometimes the key is only good for a given time period (the possible length of the intended mission for example) after which the key is useless (since the code will never be used again). Sometimes, the keys are contained in chips that are manually loaded into the platform(s) before each mission. Some of the more sophisticated weapon systems in use operate using these methods so that if the weapon (say a HARM missile or M1 Abrams for example) is captured intact it will not be able to be used against the original owner - at least not in the near future with full capabilities intact.

Also, some of the more important systems (as in so important that no one can ever be allowed to have unauthorized access to them) have modern day equivalents of the WWII inertia/self-destruct switches used for things like the IFF and AI/bombing radar electronics boxes. Some of the triggers are very sophisticated relative to the simple inertia switch use back then, but they cause the same outcome - ie a 'thermal event' that destroys specific parts of the device(s) in such a manner that they cannot be effectively compromised. Different criteria can be used to determine when to self-destruct, and some can be remotely command initiated as well (sometimes using the 'single use' communication key method described above).

Well, the drones are generally lighter than aircrafts, have less speed and can't fly high as them...

Here is the question:

Is it basically possible to shot down "drones" by Infantry Weapons? Something like AK74 / M4 / G-3 and RPM / PKP / M60 / M249 / MG3 and ...

Yes, if they are flying low enough. My understanding is that a fair number of the smaller low flying drones have been shot down by small arms in Ukraine.

Here in the US they had to pass a law against shooting down drones. (no joke)

Yes, if they are flying low enough. My understanding is that a fair number of the smaller low flying drones have been shot down by small arms in Ukraine.

Here in the US they had to pass a law against shooting down drones. (no joke)
Actually the law has been in place for years, just had t point out to people that it applies to drones as they are considered "an aircraft" under CFR14 FAR1

Artesh, sorry if you can not access it. Probably, VPN can help.
In the meantime, this is a link to a pdf copy of the article. The original one has some videos.

Artesh, sorry if you can not access it. Probably, VPN can help.
In the meantime, this is a link to a pdf copy of the article. The original one has some videos.
Thanks for pdf file.

Unfortunately, no VPN can bypass "Intranet". Also the internet speed is reduced to 1/10 - 1/8 of its normal speed, which is, at best, 1/10 of international speed for mobile devices.

Are there drones that could shoot down or disable the Shahed drones? The Shaheds don't go very fast, but the missiles used to destroy them are much more expensive! Shahed 131 = $20,000. From Wikipedia"
In early November 2022, Forbes reported on Ukrainian efforts to seek "Shahed catchers." Because legacy anti-aircraft weapons are less suited to intercepting swarms of cheap drones, various dedicated counter-UAS systems are being acquired. One is the Anvil made by Anduril Industries, which uses a suite of sensors powered by the company's AI Lattice system to detect and track threats then passes information to Anvil interceptors, which weigh 12 lb (5.4 kg) and have backwards-facing propellers to ram into a target at over 100 mph (160 km/h). Another is the NiDAR made by MARSS, which has a similar networked sensor package and uses ducted fan quadcopter interceptors that have a top speed of more than 170 mph (270 km/h). There are also domestic Ukraine options such as the Fowler. All systems are similar in that they use a large number of small interceptors to be able to counter drones launched en-masse simultaneously approaching from different directions.[60]"

Are there drones that could shoot down or disable the Shahed drones? The Shaheds don't go very fast, but the missiles used to destroy them are much more expensive! Shahed 131 = $20,000. From Wikipedia"
In early November 2022, Forbes reported on Ukrainian efforts to seek "Shahed catchers." Because legacy anti-aircraft weapons are less suited to intercepting swarms of cheap drones, various dedicated counter-UAS systems are being acquired. One is the Anvil made by Anduril Industries, which uses a suite of sensors powered by the company's AI Lattice system to detect and track threats then passes information to Anvil interceptors, which weigh 12 lb (5.4 kg) and have backwards-facing propellers to ram into a target at over 100 mph (160 km/h). Another is the NiDAR made by MARSS, which has a similar networked sensor package and uses ducted fan quadcopter interceptors that have a top speed of more than 170 mph (270 km/h). There are also domestic Ukraine options such as the Fowler. All systems are similar in that they use a large number of small interceptors to be able to counter drones launched en-masse simultaneously approaching from different directions.[60]"

Hook up a radar to this and call it a day:

800px-ArtImage_Wirbelwind.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back