Iraq 1941

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi all!

This is my first post here, on this forum, and I'm looking for some help.

Some of my friends and I are working on a W.W.II flight sim campaign, based on Iraq 1941, for European Air Wars.

I'm looking for pictures of RAF Habbaniya and RAF Shaibah, along with any pictures of aircraft which took part in the campaign.

I know this is a very odd subject, and there won't be too many pictures around, but it's a very interesting subject to research. :)

Hi itznogood!

Thanks for the link, but we've found just about everything there is on the web. Most of the pictures on that site are showing life around the airfield, and not the airfield it's self. I was hoping someone here had some books maybe which had pictures of the airfield buildings. I have no idea what they should look like. Some have suggested that they were standard RAF buildings built in Iraq. I personally think, they might have been a bit more non standard, but until I see some pictures, I'll never know.

I hope these might help:

IMAG0000.gif

IMAG0000.gif

If I can find some more, I'll post them up 8)

Hot Space

HI Hot Space!

Thanks for posting those pics, but as I said before I was hoping for some new pics. These are the pics I meant, they show life around the base and not the important stuff, hangers ect, which is what I'm looking for.

The base map shows the arrangement of the structures on the site, but not what they looked like, as this is what I need, so I can consturct 3D models of them. :)

Hey hey, that is where I landed in 1991 when I arrived in Iraq. Didn't look like that though :rolleyes:.
There were clear signs of the Allied bombing of the area, most of the hangars was hit, and I saw several MIG-29 destroyed. Several of those were dummys though, made out of wood.

Col. Gibbon,

Try the following site http://www.qsl.net/pe1ngz/stories/story-rafiraq.html

The photos on the site date from the US use of the airfield in 1945 but might be of some help.

Although not a picture of either the bases you requested the following site has a useful picture of Helwan RAF base circa 1938-39 which should give an indicative picture of a Middle-Eastern Raf Base.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/clardo/the_middle_east.html

You might also try the following site as well

http://skeet.worldonline.co.uk/prelude.html

Its not much but I hope it helps

Kiwimac

Hey Col :D good to see you over here mate :toothy10: I stumbled in here looking for some aircraft pics and found a good bunch of guys 8)

cheers

Hi kiwimac!

Thanks for posting those links, as now I know what the radio station ans control tower looked like, and from that I can make some 3D models. :)

Jim you get everywhere don't you! :shock: :D

Anonymous said:
Hi kiwimac!

Thanks for posting those links, as now I know what the radio station ans control tower looked like, and from that I can make some 3D models. :)

Jim you get everywhere don't you! :shock: :D

It was my pleasure, I really enjoy research on the internet, what a sad, sad life I lead! :shock: ;)

kiwimac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back