is Future/Klear still available in UK/Scotland?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jjp_nl

Staff Sergeant
Apr 13, 2011
Fellow (UK/Scottish) Modellers,

I've been having issues with the Dutch equivalent of Future/Klear the last couple of months. So I've been looking into possibilities to get my hands on 'real' Future/Klear.

My sister is living in Edinburgh, Scotland ATM (need to go there some time BTW), so I was thinking she might be able to get a bottle of the stuff and send it to me, but the thing is, I don't know if Future/Klear is available over there, so do any of you guys happen to know if it is still available over there?

Many thx in advance,

Jelmer

The original formula Klear was discontinued some time ago. The odd bottle turns up in local hardware stores from time to time but it can't be found in the major supermarkets anymore.
Cheers
Steve

any substitute product at this point that is also workable?

i will let you know what the new version of clear is called tomorrow, it's pledge clearwax or something like that, proper name tomorrow though.
it is now a very thin milky liquid but i have used it for the last three years with no problems Jelmer

Much appreciated Rochie! I've been trying to figure out by what name it goes ATM here in The Netherlands. While there's several Pledge products available here, they seem to change names ('improved formula' this and that kind of BS) every two months or so and most of them contain a soapy/cleaning kind of product.

Last edited:
here's a pic of the bottle i use, in the backgroung of my first group build 109 !

Attachments

• Image003.jpg
    Image003.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 350
I'm in the US where Johnson Wax still labels and sells Pledge brand with the Future shine and it is still perfectly clear. according to the company it is available in the Netherlands: Netherlands - In superstore's like Edah and C-1000. Also look in "Super de Boer" and 'Albert Heijn' which is locally referred to as 'AH'
If all else fails take a look at US Army/Air Forces Exchanges Services stores (AAFES) and in some large area commissaries or you can call S.C. Johnson direct at 800-848-2588 and ask for the Pledge "Premium Floor Finish with Future" Shine and they will ship some to you. This is a service they offer for customers who cannot find one of their products.
One final note on product availability, if you just have to have the original USA Future you can always order by mail from Amazon.com.

I'm still on the 'old' stuff, but I believe that in the UK, it's now called "Johnson's 'Pledge' Klear", in the bottle with the label as Karl posted. I'm just about to run out, so I'll soon find out what the 'new' one is called !

Terry, here in the US, S C Johnson company now has the Brand: Pledge and Future Shine about the same size print with Pledge across the top and Future Shine across the center of the label. (prior to this change the Future was a small logo at the bottom of the label)

Future is simply an acrylic floor paint. here in the US, Armstrong makes a "floor finish" and a company called Bona Kemi make a "High gloss floor polish" all are the same water based acrylic product. other varieties are are also abundant sometimes refered to as being Acrylene or a glaze and seal product. again, at least here in the US

Going through various webpages I think I may have found out about at least two or three other product available over here that may be worth checking out as they basically do the same thing as Future

thanks terry, the "real" stuff is always available on amazon or ebay if you don't mind the shipping costs. Across the pond, I can't say. you guys over there have difficulty getting some very common substances, like isopropyl alcohol for example

Cheers for the info guys!
I've been after Kristal Kleer for ages (to make windows) but we can't get it here. I was able to order it once from Scotland, but never got the package - after a 3 month wait I asked the shop to track it, and it turned out Royal Mail destroyed it as it's forbidden to send fluids. Wish they'd sent us a frickin' letter to inform us!!!
In saying that, full credit to the shop (Wonderland Models) - they were very apologetic and refunded my money at once. Still have to find a substitute though...

Don't know if it can be sent by surface mail Evan?
But, a good quality PVA will do the same job, as it's basically the same stuff. Most PVAs will dry clear, and can be used for nav lamps etc, with the more refined ones doing the job of KK for windows - just need to test it first.

Cheers for that Terry! How would you go about applying it to a round or square window hole to make the pane?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back