Is this an airplane part?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

CJWensleydale

Airman
Aug 8, 2011
Dorset
Alu Part Inside (800x600).jpg
Alu Part Outside (800x600).jpg

I know this is a long shot but my wife and I was out for a walk on an old bit of hard standing that used to be part of a WW2 fighter base when she found this old piece of aluminium in the long grass. It is some sort of cover or hatch, having a rudimentary hinge and two catches. There is also a serial number on what I presume to be the inside face that reads - B403729 - which lies underneath a small oval stamp with the numbers 0546 on the inside. While it is in a relatively poor condition, it appears to still have traces of military green paint on the outside.

Knowing my luck it will be the drain cover of some post-war portaloo but does anyone have any ideas?..

Thanks

CJ

Hatch SerNo (600x800).jpg

Here you are A4K - a close up of the stampings as requested. Thanks for the answers so far guys...

CJ

Quis Separabit

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Thanks for detail photo - it certainly looks aircraft
I do not recognize the inspection stamp but my experience has mainly been on US aircraft - The camlocks are actually Dzus fasteners and common to both US and UK aircraft so that does not help unfortunately.
The part (not serial) number is a good clue and someone with experience on UK aircraft should recognise the base number/system (eg Spitfire part numbers for Mk v fuselage are typically around 30027-, Spit cowling around 30038- and for Beaufort typically around 85nnn)
Its not Bell, Boeing, Consolidated, Curtiss, North American, Republic or Vultee (nn-nnn-nnn or nn-nnnnn or similar style numbers for these companies) or Douglas or Lockheed (nnnnnnnnn with no prefix but sometimes a suffix letter or number) but beyond that I cannot say except nothing I have worked on

Sorry just noticed this post... Number looks like B103729 to me, smaller stamp C or 0, 3 or 5, 4, S or 6. Will see if I can dig anything up on the net.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back