Italeri 1/72 Douglas C-47 Skytrain (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trebor

Master Sergeant
Feb 15, 2008
KCLS
Douglas C-47 Skytrain by ~Jandreau on deviantART

Better known as the DC-3, the Douglas C-47 Skytrain was used as a transport by pretty much all allied powers in WWII. This aircraft played a MAJOR role in the Normandy invasion of France on D-Day on June 6th, 1944.

This is an Italeri 1/72 Douglas C-47 Skytrain.

the biggest pain in my arse was painting the D-day stripes on the fuselage. I had to measure the width of the stripes and then paint them by hand >_< yes, slap me cos I didn't use tape like I SHOULD HAVE! >_<*

the thing I'm most proud of on this plane are the 2 soldiers in the plane. they're from a different kit, but they're the same scale. thing is, they are German soldiers, so I tried my best to make them look like allied GIs.

a good guy suggested I go with the British markings. and he was right ;D

pic c. me

Very nice mate. Don't worry about your stripes through, in reality many were simply hand painted with a broom and not masked in anyway. So infact yours has got an authentic look to it!

are you serious, dude?

Hi Robert! I managed to access the page for Deviant art, although not the individual pics, and what I could see looked very good indeed. The D-Day stripes look very authentic, and as Andy stated, they were often very rough!
In order to keep things secret right up to the last minute, the stripes were only painted on the aircraft the evening before the Invasion, 5 June, 1944. Mostly, the paint used was a washable 'distemper' type, and really was applied by whatever method was available, brush, yard brush, mop, whatever! If you look at close-up photos of Dakotas (C47's) with the stripes, you'll see they are mostly rough and patchy, quite often with very ragged edges. Afterall, they were intended as temporary recognition markings, not part of the overall colour scheme. A lot of modellers see these stripes on preserved, airworthy aircraft , where, of course, they look pristine, as the owner of the aircraft has paid a lot of money to have the paintwork finished professionally, and the modeller duplicated the modern representation! Yours looks like it should, functional!
Well done mate!

well that means a LOT to me, thank you so much, guys!

EDIT: does someone mind showing me some pics?

Great build! :thumbright: Only one critique, the stripes are too neat! :lol:

I want a 1/48 C-47.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back