Italian SM.82 carrying Fiat Cr.42

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My understanding is that it was direct. There does not seem to be any intermediate stop possible. There is mention of additional fuel tanks in other S.82s on this route, but it is not clear to me where they were mounted, or if they were carried by the TC variant.
There was an additional tank (1300 liters), probably it was mounted in cargo bay after pilots cabin, I think.

Cheers

There was an additional tank (1300 liters), probably it was mounted in cargo bay after pilots cabin, I think.

Cheers

The photo in Ali d'Italia does not show a turret, so the tank could be placed below that position. This would mean that there was no access to the cabin in flight?

There is a cutaway behind the bombbay doors - was this closed in flight, and if so, how?

Chris Dunning's book Courage Alone makes it clear that there was no intermediate stop. After Benghazi was captured by the British the aircraft flew from Rome to Rodi, then non-stop to Ethiopia.

Was it the 608 Squadriglia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back