IT'S OFFICAL! F-35 = Lightning II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here's ur prize dave...
30834.jpg

I love the reaction Bubbles has to "Sh!t Hawk"!

Lightning is quite a good name.

The trouble is, like Trunderbolt II, Lightning II doesn't have the glow of a new name.

The "Lightning" and "Thunderbolt" will still be, at least for me, the original birds of WWII. Their reputation sorta bought the "bad weather", I guess.:lol:

I wonder if it's pilots will give it a new name to call it by, or if "Lightning II" will stick.

The Lightning II name also draws parallels with a formidable force of nature. Like lightning, the F-35 Lightning II will strike with destructive force. The stealth characteristics of the jet will allow the F-35 to strike the enemy with accuracy and unpredictability; when the enemy finally hears the thunder, the F-35 is long gone.
from the website...

That's being a bit patronising, even if it is the truth, don't you think?

Lockheed used to name all their aircraft after heavenly bodies or atmospheric phenomena: Lightning, Shooting Star, Constellation, Electra, Starfire, Star Fighter, Neptune, Orion, Galaxy, Warning Star, Lode Star, Tri Star. Some names were a bit of a stretch, but you get the idea.

V-1710 said:
Lockheed used to name all their aircraft after heavenly bodies or atmospheric phenomena: Lightning, Shooting Star, Constellation, Electra, Starfire, Star Fighter, Neptune, Orion, Galaxy, Warning Star, Lode Star, Tri Star. Some names were a bit of a stretch, but you get the idea.

What next x-wing, tie fighter, death star, millenium falcon?

Anytime they have a name followed by a II, it will get an operational nickname that will stick later anyway. The Thunderbolt II got called the Warthog or "Hawg". The Corsair II got called the SLUF (Short Little Ugly F*cker). Even non-II aircraft earn other nicknames in service, like the BUFF, Viper, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back