J-3 Cub - Hobbycraft 1/48 - Art Hartman #5

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hawkeye2an

Staff Sergeant
Mar 18, 2009
St Joseph, Missouri
Okay, for those of you counting, this will be #5 of my planned 6 aircraft flown by local aviator Art Hartman and compared to the others this one should be a walk in the park.

Art was a Cub dealer back in the 30s and 40s so I'll be doing the Hobbycraft J-3 up in the standard yellow scheme.

Attachments

• photo-hangar.jpg
    photo-hangar.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 210
  • Cub1.jpg
    Cub1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Pretty nice little kit. There is not much to it, but that is exactly right as there wasn't much to the actual aircraft. The hardest part for me is getting used to the clear fuselage, I have to mask both inside and outside to make it look right. The engine needed a lot of scraping and sanding to get it to fit properly.

Attachments

• Cub2.jpg
    Cub2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 185
  • Cub3.jpg
    Cub3.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 168
As I said, this is a pretty good little kit straight out of the box and since it's going to go straight into the display box I'm not adding any detail to the interior as it won't ever be seen. The only two improvements I'm going to make are the chin oil cooler as it is fairly prominent and not attempted in the kit. I will also be re-doing the faring over the engine cylinders as the kit parts are way too thick and also shaped wrong.
These pics show the oil cooler, made from a piece of card and my old favorite - brass mesh, the farings will be added after painting.

Attachments

• Cub4.jpg
    Cub4.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 183
  • Cub5.jpg
    Cub5.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 181
  • Cub6.jpg
    Cub6.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 159
The picture right above it shows that it hangs outside of the opening at the lower end and I can show you plenty of pictures that show this.

Nice work Andy. I like the clear fuselage sections - given me an idea for a conversion to the L4.

You would still have to come up with clear parts for the entire roof between the wing to do an L-4, they could be vacuformed, but then you have the problem of getting the wing attachments to look right and still support the wing. I suppose it could be done with metal rod.

I built a Heller L-4 as one of my first builds after coming back to the hobby, I'll do another one eventually. It will be "Dutch" Schultz's "Janey". I had the pleasure of meeting him in a nursing home in my hometown just before he died. My autographed copy of his book is one of my prize possessions.

I see what you mean Andy. Unfortunately, both the Heller and Smer kits are 1/50th scale, and I had an idea for a little diorama with a 1/48th scale Jeep and some figures. I know there's not a lot of difference in the scale, but alongside the other items, it would be noticeable.

Ken Wakefield's book "The Fighting Grasshoppers" has several pictures in it that would make GREAT dioramas. There's one in particular that has a Cub sitting in a field with the pilot's pup tent pitched just a few feet away, I'd like to do that one up. I hope the announced Profiline 1/48th kit is worth building, don't know anything about that company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back