Japanese engine manuals and technical drawings (blueprints)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MiTasol

2nd Lieutenant
Sep 19, 2012
Aw flaming stralia
Following a link provided by Shinpachi to the Japanese archives I found a number of Japanese engine and aircraft manuals so I will post all here by providing links as this is a site that should never disappear.

The basic link is http://dl.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/

(If that link does not work for you try Manual with drawings for Type 100, 1,450 hp. engine, October 1941. Report No. 15n(14), USSBS Index Section 2 - 国立国会図書館デジタルコレクション and change the numbers to suit)

After the pid/ you will need to add the document number from the right hand column in the table below. I know it contains errors but I have identified the most obvious ones with yellow highlighter and the questions that needs resolving. As soon as anyone can provide the correct information I will update the table. Anything in bold italic is my addition as are the first two columns which I would like to complete so anyone can quickly find the manual that may help them.

1576727338710.png

As a result of Shinpachis reply the below text is redundant.

The known errors are
  • The only type 2 1,150 hp engine I can find is the inverted V-12 but these two manuals appear to be for an aircooled radial
  • The Japanese used the Bristol Jupiter early on so I am GUESSING that the type Ju is a Jupiter and not a Junkers. Japan also developed their own advanced version of the Jupiter so this manual may relate to that engine
  • The Induction starter I believe is an electric starter - am I correct? I have not yet opened this file :(
  • Manual with drawings for Type 97, 850 hp. engine fits more than one engine so can someone please advise me which engine this second manual applies to.

Last edited:
Um, we're going to need the accompanying document so we know what numbers to go to. It seems to have disappeared.

For folks who struggle with Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana, the illustrations start on page 79 and continue to the end of the manual. They are mostly illustrations of the electrical, carburetor, supercharger, auxiliary gear drive. At the end is a series on the tools needed. Enjoy!

This file is from the JACAR site and only found by accident as I find the site excessively difficult to navigate.
Type 94 550 hp motor which should be the Ha-8. It may be another copy of the same manual as 8815758 above but the cover is different. If someone who reads Japanese can translate the date that would allow us to know for certain
Unfortunately I did not keep the url

Attachments

• Type 94 550 hp motor.pdf
    6.8 MB · Views: 372
Page 3 can be read like this.

九四式五五〇馬力發動機ノ取扱ハ本説明書ヲ参考トシテ實施スヘシ
昭和十年四月二十五日
陸軍航空本部長 堀 丈夫

Carry out maintenance of the Type 94 550hp (* Ha-8 or Hikari) engine referring to this manual.
Dated April 25, 1935
General Manager of Army Aviation Headquarters Kakeo Hori (* Lt. Gen. Takeo Hori 1881-1952)

page_3.JPG

Wish I could read this thread earlier LOL

Here is an other site for digitized archives:
アジア歴史資料センター

They may not share some of the downloadable digital files with each other

And you may need to input Japanese/Kanji to search the site like:

A6M ("6"not "6")
ハ 25
発動機
取扱説明書

One can also input English but I don't think the result is reliable. )

Fen

Wish I could read this thread earlier LOL

Here is an other site for digitized archives:
アジア歴史資料センター

They may not share some of the downloadable digital files with each other

And you may need to input Japanese/Kanji to search the site like:

A6M ("6"not "6")
ハ 25
発動機
取扱説明書

One can also input English but I don't think the result is reliable. )

Fen

Thank you for the input.
I'd love to see the Allied report on the C6N Saiun...

Thank you Fen

I knew of that site but had never been able to find anything there.

Your advise on how to search will solve much of that problem though I will probably still have to input in English as translation software is often wrong.
Besides, I can't find most of the manuals of IJN for some reasons, but a series of IJA flight manuals can be find on it http://dl.ndl.go.jp
(like: digidepo_8318149)

I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this.

;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back