John Woo Flying Tigers (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DVH

Airman
Jan 29, 2012
I haven't heard a peep about Mr Woo's proposed Flying Tiger movie, but here's a radical proposal.
Were I to be making this movie, I would, for the sake of entertainment, fly fast and loose with the facts, in the persuit of a cracking good time.
I would cast Liam Neeson as Chennault, and I would place one or more, Chinese pilots in the group. Heck, I may even put Chennault in the pilot seat at one point. This is a fictional action hero version.
I would start the AVG flying P40's, and quickly move them on to P38 Lightnings. They would be gleaming silver, with the shark mouth on the nose.
You could also smatter a few P51's in there, but that's been done already, so that aircraft would not be the main focus. There could be some rivalry between the AVG pilots as to which was better, the P38 or the P51.
The Japanese would be flying A6M Zeros, and Kawasaki Ki 61 Tony's. There would be dogfights galore. I've no doubt computer gamers are doing this already. I realise that scenes in this movie would start to resemble computer games, but bring it on I say.
At some point the Japanese would introduce the J2M Raiden, and cause concern with this new wonder fighter.
Can you imagine silver shark P38's dogfighting Zeros in a fantasy scenario? Hell with facts. Awesome is the word that springs to mind.
I am preparing for an outpouring of disapproval at this travesty of historical inaccuracy, but this would be a work of fiction, entertainment not documentary.
If anyone were to be intrigued by the story, they could get off their backend and do some research for themselves to find out the real facts.
Jurassic Park played the facts in a distorted manner to maximise the entertainment, why not this movie?
Cinema can educate and entertain, but it's not compulsory to do both. I don't complain that JP raptors are way to big, way too intelligent and lack any feathers. I'm too much of a geek to stand in the way of a good time.
You could say that my outline deviates from the truth so far that it shouldn't be linked with the AVG, but that slice of history is certainly a good starting point for some cinematic storytelling.
Shoot me down, I can take it.

I'm too much of a geek to stand in the way of a good time.
You could say that my outline deviates from the truth so far that it shouldn't be linked with the AVG, but that slice of history is certainly a good starting point for some cinematic storytelling.
Shoot me down, I can take it.

And I am too much of a geek not have an aneurism at this sort of hollywood nonsense. Wasn't Pearl Harbor enough to sate one's appetite for on-screen BS History?

Besides, why ruin a great story with fantasy?

Gotta have nurses.
You know there HAS to be a romance.

Haven't you read about Olga Greenlaw (photo below)? Talk about a fem fatale.. She was supposedly gorgeous and had a brain to match. Boyington claimed to have had a tryst with her. What with the likes of Chennault, Boyington, Hill and Greenlaw, there's enough larger-than-life characters and drama to fill 90 minute film.

Attachments

• OlgaGreenlaw1939.jpg
    OlgaGreenlaw1939.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
I watched the John Wayne film, or tried to, it was the so dull I gave up on it. It suffered from having John Wayne in it. Pearl Harbour suffered from having been directed by Michael Bay.
Red Tails suffered from having been produced by George Lucas.
At some point, someone may do something watchable.
I'd forgotten about Olga, she would be great, she seemed to be a bit of a characature in real life.
I'd have her played by Susan Sarandon, going all cougar.

I watched the John Wayne film, or tried to, it was the so dull I gave up on it. It suffered from having John Wayne in it. Pearl Harbour suffered from having been directed by Michael Bay.
Red Tails suffered from having been produced by George Lucas.
At some point, someone may do something watchable.
I'd forgotten about Olga, she would be great, she seemed to be a bit of a characature in real life.
I'd have her played by Susan Sarandon, going all cougar.

Jesu Christi DVH! You must be older than me! You must be watching reruns of Atlanic City. :lol: Olga was about 33 when the war started! :oops:

You want her played by a 67 year old siren? :shock:

Kate B is 40! She'd be a cougar playing that role.:twisted:

Do we get to have real (restored or newly fabricated) Ki-27s and Ki-43s, or do we have to suffer with CGI or repainted T-6 Texan's?

any more its going to be CGI that gives the planes redbull racer flight characteristics....

The AVG/Flying Tigers is a great story all by itself. No need for much embellishment. Yes, you'd have to take some liberty to give the story some continuity and add entertainment value to the screenplay, but I'd prefer if they stuck with the correct equipment. My pick for Olga? - Jennifer Connelly.

When did Susan Sarenden Get old? I haven't been paying attention. She may be past even Cougar stage.
CGI is now so good, that I would welcome it. Of course it would also need real footage, but in the right hands, digital is very satisfatory.
I googled this project, and it seems that it will be a TV miniseries, not a cinema release, except in china.

The AVG/Flying Tigers is a great story all by itself. No need for much embellishment. Yes, you'd have to take some liberty to give the story some continuity and add entertainment value to the screenplay, but I'd prefer if they stuck with the correct equipment. My pick for Olga? - Jennifer Connelly.

Ohhhh, ahhhhhhh.......................!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back