Ju-87D-8 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello gents!

I'm trying to figure out exactly what a D-8 was. I know about this much about this version (Wiki):

The D-7 was another ground attack aircraft based on D-1 airframes upgraded to D-5 standard (armor, wing cannons, extended wing panels), while the D-8 was similar to the D-7 but based on D-3 airframes.[55] It's a common myth that the D-7 and D-8 were specifically designed and built for night fighting as they were solely based on converted airframes and used for multiple mission types. However, both were fitted with flame dampers, and could have conducted night operations.

So would it be essentially the same as a D-3, just with flame dampeners? I may want to do a different scheme on mine, but I want to be able to match the version.

First of all, the D-1 version based on B-2 as mamory serves.All the next versions based on D-1 or D-3 planes.

D-5 based on D-3 but was equipped with the wing of bigger wingspan without the airbrakers and bomb instalation for dropping in diving , armed with MG151/20 cannons instead of MGs mounted in wings.

D-6 based on D-3 but never introduced into assembling lines.

D-7 the night bomber version based on D-3 but powered by Jumo 211P engine with the flame dampeners on the exhaust pipes, equipped with a special system for flying without the visibility and a direction radio-set.The armament like for D-5.

D-8 the night assault plane modified D-5 with its armament but powered by the same engine with its equippment as the D-7.

Yep...it was D-5 but powered byJumo 211P engine with the flame dampers.The standard D-5 was powered by the Jumo211 J-1 engine.

Attachments

• Ju87D5.jpg
    Ju87D5.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Ju87D8.jpg
    Ju87D8.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
hey guys sorry to have missed this but will tell you from much correspondance there never was a D-7 or D-8 in the NSGr's.

the D-5(N) was the designation along with I believe the D-3(N) in the LW night records for losses, both had the dampners and the D-5 had the mg's in the wings replaced with the 2cm cannon and extra armor around the cockpit.

E `

Catch

there was no D7 or D-8 according to the veterans. officially it was suppose to exist but in reality it was what I posted. could even have been for propaganda reasons though .......... but why ? Evidently there has been captured paper work listing D-7 and D-8's on hand with NSGr's 1 and 2 but there were really D-3 and D-5's just with the night time equipment

Hmm, very interesting stuff! I wonder why they would fake two variants?

Very interesting nugget of info there Erich, thanks a lot! I'll have to do more research once I actually get the kit so I can look at the profiles that are in it.

I suggest a copy of Ghost bombers which covers the units Stukas in Italy.

this is about NSGr 1 and 2 and should help you if you can open the file. Nick Beales efforts are unsurpassed on these units in my opinion

Attachments

• NSGr 1 - 5.jpg
    NSGr 1 - 5.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 209
as you can see the colour is overall dark..............doh, yes for low lefvel bombing and skimming the tops of the hills on their way back to base. slow speed in this case was an asset as many of the RAF Mossies and US 9th AF P-61's over ran these slow beasts and could not plough them down. Friend and CO of the US 425th nfs. Gilly Lewis came upon 3 of them on a night in 1945 and he was slowing down almost to a stall to get in behind the wedge formation but his cannon jammed up and the Stuka gunners saw him let off a burst of twin mg-81 fire and all 3 banked and dove down to the earth where he could not follow as he lost them in the ground haze/smoke and fires. In a word he was very pissed

as you can see the colour is overall dark..............doh, yes for low lefvel bombing and skimming the tops of the hills on their way back to base. slow speed in this case was an asset as many of the RAF Mossies and US 9th AF P-61's over ran these slow beasts and could not plough them down. Friend and CO of the US 425th nfs. Gilly Lewis came upon 3 of them on a night in 1945 and he was slowing down almost to a stall to get in behind the wedge formation but his cannon jammed up and the Stuka gunners saw him let off a burst of twin mg-81 fire and all 3 banked and dove down to the earth where he could not follow as he lost them in the ground haze/smoke and fires. In a word he was very pissed

I would imagine he would be! :lol:

That's cool, it's rare that low speed was an asset in defence.

I have documentation I will try and scan in if possible, it is true confusing as such with too many WW crate books stating the D-7 and D-8 as fact

I got interested in these crates back in the 1980's when I was a member of the US night fighters association which is defunct. there was a pilot of the 425th nfs that lived just 20 minutes from me so we had some good laughs and he ran by his ops with me, never did get a chnce to view his logbooks sadly and then the CO of the squadron and another pilot that was living in southern Cali. all said the pain in the butt it was to seek out these slow-mo's and then shoot them down, it didn't take many 20mm rounds to do so but usually if you were not on your game you would pass over them before you got a shot in.

Attachments

• Stuka.jpg
    Stuka.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 158
  • NSGr 1 - 4.jpg
    NSGr 1 - 4.jpg
    804.1 KB · Views: 163
let's see what else I can pop up right now ...... an Eastern Front rig landed in the west ......

Attachments

• O-1083161723-pMpoT02I.jpg
    O-1083161723-pMpoT02I.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 214

Users who are viewing this thread

Back