Ju-88, Ju-87, He-111, FW-189, Do-17 "Ring" turrets (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Frantish

Airman 1st Class
Nov 29, 2004
Houston, TX
Hello all! :)

This will test anyones skill!!

Starting about 1938 the Luftwaffe started using what I like to call Ring turrets. It is basically a large "port hole" with the MG15 (sometimes MG81) mounted on its edge. The gun can be rotated around for optimal fiering angle. It was used on very many LW aircraft, including those in the title.

It is called the "Linsenlafette Z10d", made by "Ikaria"
The ring can rotate through 360*.
What I do not know is how much swivel the gun had. 60*? 65*? 70*? more?
Also, is the gun mouting axis parallel with the ring rotation, or is it a few degrees outward? (End result is larger cone of defensive fire).

Games are being made with incorrect information, and its no fun :(

Here is an image that details this turrets (left side).
YES, the gear is designed to keep the trigger/handel in the same downard direction!
158-5877_img.jpg

Thank you, and please visit my website, link below!

From your picture, it appears the deflection would be limited to about 60 degrees, or 120 degree cone of fire. Seems a lot of machinery for what it accomplishes, but then it is German!

R Pope said:
From your picture, it appears the deflection would be limited to about 60 degrees, or 120 degree cone of fire. Seems a lot of machinery for what it accomplishes, but then it is German!

You have to think of how incredibly small the cockpits of these aircraft where. This is an excellent way for the gunner to get the best possible shot at attacking aircraft given the movment constraints inside the cockpit.

It is much better then the gimbal mountings used in other airforces.

Lanc, the ring turret in the image IS armored! I think its has 2 or 3 mm of steel supporting armored glass (10mm?) Often used in Ju-88a-4 and Ju-87B-2+. This one also had the MG81. It is a late 1940 mod.

It was only that one short scene in it so I didnt see the title or anything. If you get the Discovery Wings channel or know anyone that does watch for the episode of "Wings of the luftwaffe" about the Ju-88, thats what it was in.

i just can say, this is another proof for the german supreme technics in the second world war.

but as far as ik can see, it can move 70 degrees.

Plus the fact it's the engineering side you should look at. Those things took some thought to create and when built they nearing perfection. And, if not blown to pieces, will last for years in the same condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back