Junkers Ju 88A-4 Night Fighter? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Magnuzk

Airman
Jan 28, 2008
OK, here are questions that puzzles me to the point that I am laying sleepless at night...

I have found some information that the Ju 88A-4 was used as a night fighter by for example NJG 7. As I understand it the A-4 was a bomber. How was it used a a night fighter, and what was its armament as a night fighter? Did it have radar and do you know of any photos of the Ju 88A-4 as a night fighter?

Sincerely,

Magnus.

NJG 7 actually did very little night fighting. the Ju 88 unit would fly to maximum altitude and drops flares down for it's own LW night fighters of other gruppen to use to make visuals on BC aircraft.

Thanks Erich. So the Ju 88A-4s were not used as night fighters in any of the NJG, but as bombers dropping flares for the Wilde Sau, and other night fighters?

Magnus.

ah but both bombers and later the Ju 88G-1 were used even some of the crews took on Bomber Command bombers

Does that mean that the A-4 sometimes attacked bombers using only the machine guns in the ****-pit, or did the A-4 have a belly pod or something like that? Using only the machine guns in the ****-pit sounds like it would be almost suicide to attack an enemy bomber. Are there any recorded night kills by a pilot in a Ju 88A-4?

no it was the G variant as far as I know. the unit first used bomber versions to drop flares followed by the transfer out of those craft and the Junkers nf's in ......

I believe my question has been answered. Thank you very much for your help Erich.

Magnus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back