just a little something i'm throwing together

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

badbear

Senior Airman
Dec 9, 2008
Just thought you lads might be interested in this "small" aircraft i,m building at the moment i,m doing it the old fashioned way with a brush HeHe
stuka1.jpg

stuka2.jpg

stuka3.jpg

stuka4.jpg

stuka5.jpg

stuka6.jpg

stuka7.jpg

stuka8.jpg
:lol:BB

Thanks mate its made all the more difficult cos i,m useing humbrol paints.BB

Ah, the old 1/24th scale Airfix Stuka! Nice kit, and nice work so far. Know what you mean about the paints - used to be the best in the World, and now -- hit and miss. Just tried using some satin black, which took four days to get nearly dry, and looked like tar !

I've been using some of my stock of Humbrol on my recent builds, its ok for small areas but I would never use it on external surfaces, the quality is poor and like you say, it takes forever to dry! It's also rubbish for airbrushing, even thinned...

Sorry to digress on the paints thing again, especially as I had a thread going about this a while back. I'm finding Humbrol very inconsistent, and although I can normally still brush paint and spray with it, that's maybe down to nearly fifty years experience. It certainly isn't the paint it used to be, and I always have to test everything before committing brush, or airbrush, to plastic. Even then, there are quite often very poor results.
It would help if any of you who have had similar experience of poor performance, especially if you've been using Humbrol before the change, about three or four years back, could let me have a brief PM with a few details. I want to inform Hornby Products, with details and evidence this time, as they may not be aware just how poor their product is, and how it is viewed out in the 'real world'.
Thanks.

Thanks guys i agree with you terry that satin black is a complete a*se to use i had to use it on the centre of the wheels on the stuka but got so fed up with waiting for it to dry i stripped it off and used revell satin instead.BB

I used it as I was being lazy ! I normally use matt, then give the required clear coat - semi-matt, gloss etc. Instead, after nearly four days (!) I was able to gently sand it down, re-paint in matt, and then give it a semi-matt clear coat. The really annoying thing is, that particular colour used to be a gem to use, and gave a great finish. Now, it's just sheer sh*te !!

Thats it iv,e had it with airfix this is the second kit i have had on the trot that has had parts missing so i am not going to buy anymore stuff em.BB

Thats it iv,e had it with airfix this is the second kit i have had on the trot that has had parts missing so i am not going to buy anymore stuff em.BB

When I used to make airfix kits if any part was missing or deformed you just wrote to them and they sent it. I did it once with a leg for the lunar module. Worth a try?

I might phone the nice young lady at airfix when i have calmed down to get the replacement part .Its just so darn annoying .its never a part that is out of sight it always has to be one that bloody important.BB

They'll send the part, although they say allow 28 days, unlike the 'old' days, when it was Airfix and not Hornby as they are now, and the part arrived by return mail. But it is annoying, as their quality overall has dropped, along with consistency. Oh, and BTW, for '28 days' read nearer three months !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back