Kawasaki Ki-32 operational history

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

greybeard

Airman 1st Class
Oct 25, 2011
Ki-32_Mary_in_flight2.jpg

It's curious how this light bomber was built in number that exceeds that of its winning competitor, the Mitsubishi Ki-30, whilst there's poor evidence of its use.

Wikipedia mentions it fought in "the Second Sino-Japanese War, equipping the 3rd, 6th, 10th, 35th, 45th, 65th and 75th Sentai. It also saw combat during the Battle of Nomonhan against the Soviet Union in 1938-1939.". But when I click on the link about "Nomonhan" on the same Wikipedia, on that page cannot find even a single loss of Ki-32 and it is not mentioned at all.

I wonder when, where and possibly with which Sentai it was actually in service during 1938-1942.

Thanks for any help,
GB

I think what further info there might be related to its combat histories, if not destroyed in a bombing raid, might have yet to be translated into English and so are not in 'general' wiki.

AFAIK, most of these aircraft ended up being used in pilot and crew training schools, and at the end, what were left that were unservicable for schools could also have been used in 'special attack' divine wind roles.
(Deified wind is not to be mistook for the lesser form that is priestly gas, itself a purported higher form of political hot air.)

Last edited:
No. 3 Hiko Sentai in Shiga, Japan
No. 6 Hiko Sentai in Taegue, Korea

No. 35 Hiko Sentai No Records as disbanded soon
No. 45 Hiko Sentai in the Philippines since 1942
No. 65 Hiko Sentai in Feryon, Korea
No. 75 Hiko Sentai in Singapore since 1942

No.10 Hiko Sentai was deployed in Manchukuo but I wonder if the Ki-32 was in time for Nomonhan.
No other Sentais in Manchukuo are confirmed equipped with the Ki-32.

Last edited:
No. 75 Hiko Sentai in Singapore since 1942

No.10 Hiko Sentai was deployed in Manchukuo but I wonder if the Ki-32 was in time for Nomonhan.
No other Sentais in Manchukuo are confirmed equipped with the Ki-32.

Although remains for me curious how this aircraft, refused mainly for cooling problems to its engine, was anyway built in superior number in respect of its successful competitor (the Ki-30), to be then employed mainly as trainer, you kindly fulfilled my need to ascertain if it participated or not to Nomonhan Incident and Malaya Invasion. Thank you very much!

Kind regards,
GB

Just speculation, but I wonder if the Ki-32's not very desirable water-cooled V-12 might have avoided the demand crunch for the more successful air-cooled engines.

Ki-32 was later used by Manchukuo Air Force, I have 4 pictures of them but according to source there is very little known about them. Not even proper number is known.

But if anyone is interested I can try to scan the pictures of Ki-32 used by MAF.

"No. 65 Hiko Sentai in Feryon, Korea"

Greetings Shinpachi,

Correct me if I am wrong but did the 65th Sentai later convert to Ki-43 fighters?

You have good knowledge, windswords.
The 65th Sentai was originally built as a bomber squadron in 1938 but when no more supply of bomber airframes they returned to the homeland in March 1945. Given the Ki-43 airframes, 250 kg bombs and 400 litter drop tanks for light bombers, they flew to attack the allied vessels around Okinawa Island from Chiran airfield in Kyusyu together with kamikaze attackers. As they repeated attacks with the same airframes, they were not Kamikaze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back