Ki-48 question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hoggardhigh

Airman 1st Class
Jan 6, 2014
United States
Hi all,

Some sources claim that initial production of the Ki-48-II series differed from the preceding Ki-48-I series only in featuring a lengthened fuselage, updated engines, and extra armor protection. However, others state that the Ki-48-II series also featured reinforcement of the fuselage.

Which of these statements is true? Does anyone know if ALL production Ki-48 models were structurally the same apart from the Ki-48-II's longer fuselage?

Thanks

I haven't heard of the longer fuselage but am curious if truly existed.
"Mechanic of World Aircraft vol 2" tells the basic difference between the model I and the model II ko(A) is the engine.
Its following model II otsu(B) is a reinforced version of the ko(A) equipped with the dive-brake to be used as a dive bomber.
Measurements show all same in the list.

Spec list based on the army manual which was edited by Takeo Doi- Ki48 designer of Kawasaki Aircraft in December 1943.
Ki-48 specs.JPG

Appearances of the model II otsu(B) as a dive bomber.
Ki-48_model_otsu.JPG

I haven't heard of the longer fuselage but am curious if truly existed.
"Mechanic of World Aircraft vol 2" tells the basic difference between the model I and the model II ko(A) is the engine.
Its following model II otsu(B) is a reinforced version of the ko(A) equipped with the dive-brake to be used as a dive bomber.
Measurements show all same in the list.

Spec list based on the army manual which was edited by Takeo Doi- Ki48 designer of Kawasaki Aircraft in December 1943.
View attachment 375217

Appearances of the model II otsu(B) as a dive bomber.
View attachment 375218
What do you mean by, "reinforced"?

1. Added bomb racks for the 250kgs x2 or 500kgs x 1.
2. Added armors in the cockpit and the fuel tanks.
3. Replaced 7.7mm machine guns with more powerful 12.7mm Ho-103 cannons.
4. and other minor structural improvements as a dive bomber like the diagram shows.

Difference_model IIA_IIB.JPG

However, others state that the Ki-48-II series also featured reinforcement of the fuselage.
Thanks

I've only read where there was a bad tail flutter problem with the early prototypes and as a result the rear fuselage was strengthened for all production Lilly's - so no extra fuselage strengthening for the II series as the problem was solved.

48.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back