kittyhawk mk iii and spitfire mk vb trop

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robbbie1984

Airman
Nov 25, 2012
Decided to do another side by side build. Had so many problems with the azure/mediterranean blue going down, but its on and heres to a better topside!

20140402_103021.jpg
20140404_122359.jpg
20140408_122037.jpg
20140408_151608.jpg

I have an in line filter and spray in quite a dry condition. Any idea why my paint goes on so wet and as if its not vapourising as it goes through the gun? It doesnt look like condensation in the line and I try various pressures?

What kind of paints an thinner do you use? What is the temperature in the room you usually spray in?

I have been using xtracrylix with about a 50:50 mix of tamiya thinner maybe a bit more as I mix it quite thin. Its normal room temp so not too hot either?

From the description of the spraying, and the peeling paint, it may be that the paint is thinned too much. I don't like acrylics, so don't have much experience with them, but peeling seems to be not uncommon, as the acrylic paints are nowhere near as durable as other mediums, such as enamels.

I agree with Airframes. It might be the thinning ratio but also the Tamiya thinner that isn't the proper one for xtracrylix colours. I would switch to the xtracrylix thinner rather. The reason for that is the Tamiya thinner can be to "heavy ( fatty )" for xtracrylix paints. As a result it can be mured in the airbrushed paint layers by the top one that dries as the first one. A such painting need more time for getting dry ( usually a couple of days ) but the quality of a such paint isn't good and the peeling effect appears to be quite common for them in the case.
Well... my suggestion is .. change the thinner. As memo serves the xtracrylix acrylics should be thinned with distilled water or alcohol. But there is offered the xtracrylix thinner for them too.. pics below. Also .. to avoid of the peeling effect I would suggest using of a light grey primer. The cheapest one is just a grey Humbrol enamel.

airbrushing_acrylics_1.jpg

xa1ttt.jpg

The problem could also be surface prep. Was the plastic cleaned thoroughly before painting? Oil form your fingers can also cause that. I'm real careful about handling the model before painting, washing my hands frequently to remove the skin oil.

All stuff im going to have to keep an eye on! Ill try some of yhe xtracrylix thinner too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back