Kochyerigin Dl-6

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vikingBerserker

Lieutenant General
Apr 10, 2009
South Carolina
While researching candidates for the next GB, I came across this plane. I've researched it and can find very little on it. The one consensus I can find is it was used during the Khalgin-Gol Conflict, then it gets a little fuzzy. Some sources state it was used in the Winter War and WW2, others state it was pulled from duty after Khalgin-Gol. It supposedly was used in a ground attack role, and was the first bi plane with retractable landing gear. I've looked through my books and cannot find anything on it. Anybody know if it really was used in Winter War/WW2?

The picture is from Photos: Kochyerigin DI-6 (mock-up) Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net copyright Peter De Jong

Attachments

• DI-6.jpg
    DI-6.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 144
N.N. Soyko in "Dvoohmyestnyi istriebitiel DI-6" stated that information about operationally using DI-6 over Khalkhin Gol is only the legend. This same about Winter War and Great Patriotic War.
During Winter War there were a little DI-6, but they were used in training role and speed liaison aircraft.
To the Great Patriotic War lasted single DI-6, where of most unairworthy.
There are mentions about using of DI-6 at Leningrad Front as the false aim at airfields. 6th ShAP of Leningrad Front has only 1 DI-6 at Maysniemi aifield not far from Vyborg.

Thanks for the info fellas!

From what i know, the DI-6 was one of the most popular soviet planes in the mid 30ies. It was as fast as a Polikarpov I-15bis an as nimble with a 12s ToT! Except of course in vertical figures...

Anyway, in 1938 it was officially considered as obsolete as a concept (biplace fighter) and never fitted with the new M-62 engine despite modernisation programm requests.

No official records were found for it's participation in Khalkin Gol, Lake Khasan or Winter War conflicts.

In january 1939 only 60 DI-6 and 64 DI-6Sh were intended to be kept in flyable condition for about 180 available ones.
So i don't believe them to be used operationnaly neither in 1939 nor in 1940.

If questionnable as a "concept", it was nevertheless quoted as successifull "technical work" and studied as an "scholar example" for generetions of future soviet aviation engineers. Until the Yak-18, and 52's appraisal...So if it was not completly throwen out, we should find a complete structural stress/weight analysis and windtunnel/aerodynamics detailed studies in old MAI lessons/control booklets.

Regards

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back