KOKODA TRACK REPORT UPDATE

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
DEFENCE MEDIA RELEASE

MSPA 287/08 Thursday, 4 September 2008

DISCOUNTED - KOKODA TRACK REPORT

Australian Defence Force staff from the Australian High Commission in Port Moresby today reached an isolated site on the Kokoda Track to check reports that the body of an airman was located in the jungle canopy.

No remains were located.

While the location, near Kagi, is below a flight path that was commonly used by allied aircraft during WWII sorties, the find has been confirmed by ADF staff as a moss covered branch.

It appears the branch has broken off the main tree and fallen across some vines, which from the ground, could have been confused with the body of an airman.

Well, I'm not overly surprised by it. But at least it puts the issue to bed.

Same here. The photos looked very odd.

I kinda wondered if it was a way to get press for the company that does the tours for the track.

Quite possibly. Seemed strange to me that they didn't/couldn't determine if they were anatomical bones on the very day of discovery?

Thanks for the update Sys.

1.jpg

I can see where they thought it was a body although it is possible what Eric is saying is possible.

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | 'It seemed to be a body from WWII'

Hi Gnomey, thanks for the BBC link and the photo. Did you notice the caption that came with the photo?...

What appear to be the "feet" of the suspected airman are visible in the canopy ( image courtesy of Lisa Fabre)

I'm no anthropologist, but what feet? How do you interpret that photo? Obviously I'm not interpreting its position correctly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back