Lagg-3's or La-5's 131 IAP , 1942

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
I am looking for photos of 131st IAP Eastern Front 1942
Needing a plane color or camo for the LaGG-3 from this unit for GB53.
I know it's a ways off, but it's being difficult to find.

Людмиле Бажановой (Lyudmila Bazhanova)
I have a question for you!!!!!!
I have a name! Below,
On August 17, a veteran of the Great Patriotic War, a talented pilot and famous military commander Hero of the Soviet Union, Colonel-General Davidkov Victor Josephovich (corrected) would have turned 100 years.
I have a unit, 1942 of 131 IAP - 40 GIAP (corrected).
I have an AC type, Lagg-3.
But I cannot find any photos of Lagg-3's 1942 from this unit.
I intended this for GB53. Can you help me in my search?

Cheers,
Bill Davidson

Last edited:
I am looking for photos of 131st IAP Eastern Front 1942
Needing a plane color or camo for the LaGG-3 from this unit for GB53.
I know it's a ways off, but it's being difficult to find.
Cheers,
Bill
Hi Bill,

Is there a specific LaGG-3 aircraft or pilot you are considering?

I can recommend these two websites for good information. The first one is on VVS units but in Russian. Your browser can translate it.
40 гиап (131 иап) ВВС КА - самолеты и эмблемы

The second one is the Massimo Tessitori's great website on the subject.
Lavochkin LaGG-3

Hi Bill,

Is there a specific LaGG-3 aircraft or pilot you are considering?

I can recommend these two websites for good information. The first one is on VVS units but in Russian. Your browser can translate it.

The second one is the Massimo Tessitori's great website on the subject.
Lavochkin LaGG-3

Yes it would be Viktor Davidkov, 131st IAG eastern front. LaGG-3, early.

I will look at your links.
Bill

Yes it would be Viktor Davidkov, 131st IAG eastern front. LaGG-3, early.

I will look at your links.
Bill

Unfortunately, I could not find any visual reference to Davidkov's LaGG-3. But there are some pictures of his La-5FN. Please see links below, if you have not found them before (auto translatable to English):
Давидков Виктор Иосифович - Советские асы. Герои воздушных войн 1936-1953 гг.
Давидков Виктор Иосифович - военный летчик Герой Советского Союза - Красные соколы. Русские авиаторы летчики-асы 1914-1953

Also, this online copy of the book " "History of the Aircraft-LaGG-3" has some well-known images of the aircraft but only one textual reference to Davidkov about the event when he engaged four Bf-109s and shot one of them down on June 24, 1942.
ЛаГГ-3 (fb2) | КулЛиб - Классная библиотека! Скачать книги бесплатно

I can also share with you some color plates from George Mellinger's book if you'd like but no Davidkov LaGG-3 . :(

Unfortunately, I could not find any visual reference to Davidkov's LaGG-3. But there are some pictures of his La-5FN.

I can also share with you some color plates from George Mellinger's book if you'd like but no Davidkov LaGG-3 . :(

Wow, thanks for all that I had not found these. Interestink!
By now I wonder if you've guessed I tend to concentrate on Davidson pilots and aircraft.
Davidkov was a close second in Russian. I wanted to do the LaGG-3 for the Eastern Front build. Have already done the La-7 but Ivan Nikitovich Kozhedub bright white.
So the La-5 is what I may have to go with, which is okay.
GB53-1 la5f_8gd Davidkov 1944.JPG

You've been an immense help and I could not have found all this without your help.
This has got to be the best forum!!!!
Bill

Wow, thanks for all that I had not found these. Interestink!
By now I wonder if you've guessed I tend to concentrate on Davidson pilots and aircraft.
Davidkov was a close second in Russian. I wanted to do the LaGG-3 for the Eastern Front build. Have already done the La-7 but Ivan Nikitovich Kozhedub bright white.
So the La-5 is what I may have to go with, which is okay.
View attachment 617796
You've been an immense help and I could not have found all this without your help.
This has got to be the best forum!!!!
Bill

la5f.jpg

the pic source: The Birth of a Soviet Design Legend

I have a question for you!!!!!!
I have a name! Below,
On August 17, a veteran of the Great Patriotic War, a talented pilot and famous military commander Hero of the Soviet Union, Colonel-General Viktor I. Davidkov would have turned 100 years.
I have a unit, 1942 of 131st IAP.
I have an AC type, Lagg-3.
But I cannot find any photos of Lagg-3's 1942 from this unit.
I intended this for GB53. Can you help me in my search?

Cheers,
Bill Davidson

Good afternoon Bill Davidson.
Unfortunately, I could not find a photo of the plane, and it is possible that it does not exist at all. There is a photo from the newspaper, but you can't see anything on it. There is a photo of a pilot from the 131st IAP near the LaGG-3 Volkov Gavriil Nikolayevich. The LaGG-3 is brand new, with a big propeller coca, no ShKAS machine guns, I can't understand the shape of the exhaust pipes.
You misspelled his patronymic, Davidkov Victor Josephovich (son of Joseph, not Ivan)

Герои времен Великой Отечественной войны - Страница 3 - Выдающиеся личности
unnamed.jpg
volkov.jpg

A good resource with markings and designations of the VVS RKKA Справочник для быстрого поиска эмблем авиачастей СССР в ВОВ.

Judging by the photo of the La-5, the squadrons differed in the color of the propeller guard. But this marking was in 1943 and after receiving "Guard" status ( 131 IAP - 40 GIAP). In the photo of Davidkov next to the I-16 you can see that the propeller spinner is not painted, the propeller spinner on the LaGG-3 Volkov is not painted. La-5 had no specific markings, which means that the preceding LaGG-3 and I-16 had no bright markings.
la5_35_nazarenko_prof.png
la5f_19_tokarev.jpg
la5fn_66_shvarev_prof.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill,

Russian full name consists of three parts. Eg.... Davidkov Victor Josephovich. The surname is Davidkov while the first name is Victor. However Russians add the father's given name after the son's first name what is a kind of his second name. The father's forename ends with the "ovich/evich" for a male. Therefore, there is Victor Josephovich that may be translated as Victor, son of Joseph.. In other words, you would be Davidson William ... and here your father's first name with the ending "ovich or evich", if the Russian way of calling was used. Because we don't use the father's forename usually , our full names are double-barrelled only.

Bill,

Russian full name consists of three parts. Eg.... Davidkov Victor Josephovich. The surname is Davidkov while the first name is Victor. However Russians add the father's given name after the son's first name what is a kind of his second name. The father's forename ends with the "ovich/evich" for a male. Therefore, there is Victor Josephovich that may be translated as Victor, son of Joseph.. In other words, you would be Davidson William ... and here your father's first name with the ending "ovich or evich", if the Russian way of calling was used. Because we don't use the father's forename usually , our full names are double-barrelled only.

Makes it very clear!
Thanks for that.👍

Well in fact, I am going with a generic Lagg3, on skis!
All your help has come to this. Also, I do have an La-7 already!
I have found this unusual one with No number and since I go for the unusual, I choose this one!
A kit is available for the skis, however my attempt will be to scratchbuild them!!!
Call me silly, but I have done stranger things.
At least I have a wartime photo to authenticate it!!!!
Easy............. camo paint with lacquer, smear on white enamel!
Lagg3 winter6.jpg

Been to that one Geo.
Funny in fact how little information there is photo wise for these planes there is.
If I can't have my Davidkov, I want Unusual!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back