Lancaster I PH-N, W4925 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wally

Recruit
Jan 17, 2016
I was named after the pilot of this Lanc which was shot down over The Netherlands on the 1st May, 1943. The nightfighter pilot was Hptm Wilhelm Dormann and I believe he was flying either a ME 110 G2 or G4. I know some months later he bailed out of G9-BD (18/8/43) and was hurt badly. I would love to know the ID numbers and the aircraft model of the aircraft he used on the night of the 1st May. Theo Boitens new series of books "Nachtjagd Combat Archive" 1943 Part One may have the answer but there don't appear to be any available for sale at the moment. If anyone out there has access to this information I would really appreciate it. Thanks for helping if you can.

Hi Wally,
I have the relevant volume of the "Nachtjagd Combat Archive", but there is no information about Dormann's aircraft on that night.

It just notes:

Hptm. Wilhelm Dormann 9./NJG1 Lancaster Woold, 4 Km S. Winterswijk (4D) 6000m 02.36 12 Sqn Lancaster W4925.

I think you already know all of this!

search T/R number

Screenshot_20200805-133206_Chrome.jpg

Thanks heaps to both stona and snautzer01. I was hoping that there was more from the nightfighter gruppe reports but it appears that this is not the case. I wonder if Dormann's flight log books are on record or whether they would be held by the family. Can anyone confirm whether Dormann was shot down in a G2 or a G4 ME 110, on the night of 18/8/43 ?

According to Boiten, Dormann was shot down that night by a No.141 Squadron Serrate equipped Beaufighter, while flying Bf 110 G-2 (G9+BD).

Thanks stona and crimea river....the problem really is if I make a model of this me110 a/c do I include the Lichtenstein FuG 202 radar antennae or not ??? Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back