Lancaster LL807 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Orzel

Airman
Sep 8, 2020
I recently looked at photos of my great great uncles plane and I noticed that LL807 has both the designation BH-K and BH-N.Can someone please elaborate on this please.

Aircraft within squadrons often changed their individual code letter, for various reasons. It may be, for example, that BH-K went in for deep service or repair, and a new aircraft became the new BH-K. When the original ( BH-K ) emerged from the hangar, it may have then been allocated "N" as it's individual code letter, becoming BH-N, possibly replacing former "N" lost on operations or damaged beyond repair etc.

Aircraft within squadrons often changed their individual code letter, for various reasons. It may be, for example, that BH-K went in for deep service or repair, and a new aircraft became the new BH-K. When the original ( BH-K ) emerged from the hangar, it may have then been allocated "N" as it's individual code letter, becoming BH-N, possibly replacing former "N" lost on operations or damaged beyond repair etc.

Yes. This was the case with KB.721, Coded VR-E. It was badly shot up on a raid to Bochum, November 4/5 1944. When it was next operational and flown by my father on a raid to Duisburg, 18 December 1944, it was coded VR-B. The aircraft survived the war and returned to Canada. The key on all of this is to follow the aircraft serial number, not the code letters. I realize the aircraft serial number is not always visible.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back